Menu
lewisac
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Background Data Usage

I recently bought a Microsoft Lumia 640 through Virgin which I'm using on a £10 per month contract with 250MB per month of data. When I got it I set up the data sense app to prevent me from using the internet if I reach my limit in a month. However, I've just receieved a bill for £33 suggesting that 23 days of last month I used data beyond my limit. The grand sum of this data overusage is about 7MB but I've receieved a £1 daily charge for exceeding my limit on data usage.

My primary question is one of advice. Obviously the data sense app is not doing its job in preventing me from accessing the internet as I thought it would. As it stands the app says my limit is 250MB and resets on the 28th each month. "Restrict background data usage" is set to on "when I'm near my limit". Have I made an error in the setup or am I just misusing the app and assuming incorrectly that it stops me from using the internet?

The secondary question is one of brass taxes. I understand that I used up to my limit of internet usage and that's a mistake on my part as it seems I had an app somewhere that updated itself while I was away to the tune of over 80MB. However, I must contest at least £20 of this bill as excessive. As I say, I've "used" about 6MB over the 23 days (about 300KB per day). Is it likely that Virgin would consider this request reasonable as I clearly haven't intentionally abused the excess data.

My tertiary question is one on Virgin Media customer services. Is there a particular reason that everything must be done over the phone? Most companies now have a simple service where I can send an email or fill in an online form to have a request looked into, but with Virgin I'm stuck with having to make a phonecall which isn't always convenient or using a message board where I can't provide secure details about me or my account and as a customer I feel this is lacking in a modern business model

Thanks for any help,

Lewis

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Background Data Usage

Hi lewisac

I believe you setup "data sense" wrong for what you wanted it to do.

In your first post you mention it was set to Restrict Background Data Usage, this would not turn data off when the it reached the limit you set - instead it would go into a data saving mode
http://www.windowsphone.com/en-gb/how-to/wp8/connectivity/use-data-sense-to-manage-data-usage

To have data sense turn off data completely when you reach a limit you have set, you would need to follow these instructions
http://ccm.net/faq/39017-windows-phone-8-1-how-to-set-a-data-usage-limit

Hope this helps :-)
---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.

All Replies
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lewis,

Welcome to the forums Smiley Happy

Sorry to hear that you've had some issues with the data app. As it's a 3rd party app, I'm afraid I couldn't offer my opinion on this as I'm not too sure of the ins and outs of the settings for it. My advice would be to use the Virgin Mobile app to track your usage.

I'm afraid with regards to a refund of the charges as they've been exceeded on your part. Sorry about that.

WIth regards to your last question, we're more than happy to offer as much advice and help via the forums. I'm here if you need me.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
lewisac
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

That's all very well, but unfortunately, even though Virgin sell Windows phones, they don't support them in the UK.There is a Canadian app for Windows and Android and iPhone apps, but obviously none of these are any use to me. I hadn't realised at the time of buying it that Virgin offer next to no support for Windows phones. I shall make sure to consider this fact when choosing a mobile provider in the future. I'll see if Microsoft support are any help on this issue.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi lewisac

I believe you setup "data sense" wrong for what you wanted it to do.

In your first post you mention it was set to Restrict Background Data Usage, this would not turn data off when the it reached the limit you set - instead it would go into a data saving mode
http://www.windowsphone.com/en-gb/how-to/wp8/connectivity/use-data-sense-to-manage-data-usage

To have data sense turn off data completely when you reach a limit you have set, you would need to follow these instructions
http://ccm.net/faq/39017-windows-phone-8-1-how-to-set-a-data-usage-limit

Hope this helps :-)
---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
lewisac
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks very much, that's a helpful answer

Lewis
0 Kudos