Menu
jameshudson339
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Automated calls from my bank go straight to voicemail

When trying to set up my banks app it gives me a security code then calls me and I have to enter the code.  The problem is these automated calls go straight to voicemail - they never appear as a call on my phone so I can't answer them.

After a while the authentication in the app fails and I end up with 3 voicemail messages from the bank.  The voicemails all start about half way through the banks automated message.

I called 789 to try and fix this today and they suggested this was a problem on the banks end, though I mentioned that I have set up the app with other service providers without problem.  There was a work around in the end - turning off the voicemail service.

With voicemail turned off the call came through to my phone and I have been able to set up the app now, but this isn't really a proper solution.  I obviously want to turn voicemail back on, so what about the next time I need to authenticate something with my bank?  Will I have to have voicemail turned off and on every time?

Has anyone else had a similar problem, or found a permanent solution?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Automated calls from my bank go straight to voicemail

Hi jameshudson339

Welcome to the community.

Sorry to hear about the issues you had getting this set up due to calls not coming through.

The voicemail being active shouldn't cause this as the phone should always ring first.

Unless of course the voicemail had been inadvertently set up to direct all calls to Voicemail, in this case though you wouldn't be able to receive calls from anyone.

What's more likely is that something else happened when the voicemail was turned off that's coincidental to this.

As the issue is now resolved, it's hard for use to diagnose exactly what was stopping calls coming through.

If a call is going direct to voicemail it would usually mean the handset is off/engaged/out of signal range for calls or the number is blocked by the software on the handset.

Have you checked the 'blacklist' settings on your phone to ensure the bank's number isn't blocked and have you installed any third-party call blocking/spam blocking software on the device?

If the issue happened again, it would be great if you could test your SIM in another device to ensure it's not a fault or configuration issue with the handset itself. 

Many thanks

Mark Y
Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
unhappy8
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Similar issue. My reject list does not have voicemail on it or anyone from my contact. Just Pip scam callers etc. This is very frustrating over 100 complaints virgin please sort it out. I can't make transactions online I have to physically go into the bank. I have missed important messages that wasted my time and petrol.
0 Kudos
Steve46
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I have the same issue. TSB automated calls to set up payments go straight to voicemail. I have tied the sim card in an iphone 7 and a one plus x android phone, both gave the same results. All normal calls work fine. The fact it happens on two completly different phones makes me sure that it must be the sim doing it. Dont really want to turn off my voicemail to make ot work. Is there a quick way to turn voicemail off and then back on again?
0 Kudos
jameshudson339
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

If you log into your mobile account on Virgins website I remember there an option to turn voicemail on and off.  In the same place as roaming I think.

0 Kudos
JonB2017
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I have the same issue  with bank security code return calls which do not ring and then appear as voicemails, likewise on the second automated attempt made by the bank. Land line OK. Do not have to switch off voice mail every time I set up a new payee.  I have done this successfully on the same phone with the same sim in the past.

Any advice?

0 Kudos