Menu
friedgoldmole
Tuning in
Message 1 of 138
Flag for a moderator

Are google services being throttled?

I have noticed for at the least the last few weeks; I can't listen to music from Play Music All Access on my morning commute without constant buffering and tracks being skipped. Spotify works fine during this same commute (I am only using the free version).

I went through some steps with someone from google, including wiping the apps data/cache and re-installing updates, trying to set the quality to Low etc. Then I thought to try using Tunnel Bear VPN, and it worked perfectly the whole way into work this morning, as soon as I disable the VPN back to the constant buffering.

I have noticed downloads from the play store are also very slow on 3g. Through all of this a speedtest.net shows speeds of between 8 - 14 Mbps.

Anyone got any ideas, is this a peering fault between ours and google networks, or is this throttling. Anyone else having similar issues?

KevAmiga
Up to speed
Message 2 of 138
Flag for a moderator

Re: Are google services being throttled?

Hmm... i get the same issue. Its so bad of late, i cancelled my google play music unlimited as it was so bad. Ill try it through PureVPN today and see what happens.

TiVo, 150mb BB, Telco, Mobile.. .got em all Smiley Happy

friedgoldmole
Tuning in
Message 3 of 138
Flag for a moderator

I would be very interested to hear how it goes.

Is anyone of the support guys able to weigh in on this issue?

Liam

0 Kudos
KevAmiga
Up to speed
Message 4 of 138
Flag for a moderator

I didnt get a chance to look at this last night, ill take a peek later.

TiVo, 150mb BB, Telco, Mobile.. .got em all Smiley Happy

musicplease
Tuning in
Message 5 of 138
Flag for a moderator

Hi. 

I've been having the exact same issues.

I had been using Play Music without issue for months until recently. It's now so bad that I am now unable to complete a song without buffering or skipping. Other streaming services work without issue, including NetFlix. 

I too have followed Google's advice on the matter to no avail. Since there doesn't appear to be a fault at their end that would suggest something wrong with the network. Please could someone at Virgin look in to it? 

Many thanks

Craigyh74
Dialled in
Message 6 of 138
Flag for a moderator

Defiantly an issue as I'm having the same issue. Spotify is fine but play music isn't. It also takes and age to download from the play store too. So far I'm 40 mins into downloading a 10mb and its only on 48%.
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 138
Flag for a moderator

Hi all,

Thanks for posting Smiley Happy

I'm really sorry that you're having some issues with Google Play services. We've received no reports on this on our side at this moment in time.

Can you let me know if you're connecting to a wireless network or to 3G?

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
sweetdairyair
Settling in
Message 8 of 138
Flag for a moderator

I have the top level fibre with Virgin. I don't get anywhere near the advertised speeds, but that's another issue for another time. 

I have google music and I've noticed recently that it's horribly slow when it comes to streaming a song, constantly buffering, and stopping and starting.

What's even more annoying is that I play google music through any old proxy, and it works perfectly. There is something wrong with Virgin here.

Downloading things are fine. General browsing is fine. Streaming google music is awful. 

This is not an isolated incident as you can see by other people's responses. Please get someone to look into it. 

Thank you. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 9 of 138
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sweetdairyair,

Welcome to the forums Smiley Happy

I'm really sorry you're having issues here. What device are you using to listen to Play Music?

Let me know when you can.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
sweetdairyair
Settling in
Message 10 of 138
Flag for a moderator

I tried it on two devices, thinking it may have been an issue with the device.

It was slow on both my desktop computer and my surface pro. The proxy thing worked on both machines as well