Menu
awstyle1879
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Apps on SD Card

I have a Sony Experia Z3 phone and the internal storage is almost full so I would like to use my 32Gb Class 10 SD card as internal storage. According to numerous YouTube videos I've seen this is a simple process (basically, backup SD card and then format it as internal storage). Problem is that I only get the option to format as portable storage. Phone is using Android 6.0.1. The phone is not rooted.

Any ideas?

Kind regards

Tony

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Apps on SD Card

Hi awstyle1879,

Welcome to the community!

I have done a little digging on this one for you, but I fear it may not be the answer you were looking for.

Have a look on this thread over the Sony's forum that discusses the same topic.

I must say personally I have no experience of using an SD to expand the internal memory, I have always used them simply for media storage if needed.

Regards

Liam_T
Forum Team

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos

All Replies
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi awstyle1879,

Welcome to the community!

I have done a little digging on this one for you, but I fear it may not be the answer you were looking for.

Have a look on this thread over the Sony's forum that discusses the same topic.

I must say personally I have no experience of using an SD to expand the internal memory, I have always used them simply for media storage if needed.

Regards

Liam_T
Forum Team

0 Kudos
awstyle1879
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Liam

Thanks for the prompt reply. You're right, it isn't the answer I wanted but it is the answer I was sort of expecting. I was wondering whether it was Virgin who disabled this feature.

It's a pity that Sony don't let their users decide whether a feature is fast enough or not. Slower functionality is better than no functionality at all. Very disappointing. I have already pruned back my internal storage by putting storing as much as I can on the SD card but I am now almost at the stage where I can't install a new app unless I ditch a current one.

Sorry, this is turning into a rant.

Many thanks for your prompt and useful response.

Kind regards

Tony

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi awstyle1879,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I hear you regarding having the element of choice on this one.

If users were made aware there potentially could be a performance drop then they could choose whether to proceed or not.

Maybe one day in a future iteration of android, it could make a return, who knows.

While on the subject of internal storage, I found with my old Sony Z2 that I could uninstall updates for some pre-installed apps that I would never need, and disabled them, I clawed back some of the memory that these were taking up.

Of course disabling anything comes with a warning about things misbehaving, but it is reversible if ever needed.

Regards

Liam_T
Forum Team

0 Kudos
awstyle1879
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Liam.

Wishing you a happy New Year.