Menu
SteveSmithBris
Just joined
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Apps crashing - seems to be all Google apps

Hi, since yesterday lunchtime I've had problems with various apps crashing and giving me the "xxx is not responding would you like to close it" dialog.

I haven't tried every single app, but so far the apps that are crashing include :

Chrome
Store
Google photos
Play books
GMail
Google+
Play Music
Google App

Apps that run OK include :

Google maps (although it seems to struggle locating me on GPS, which other mapping apps can do without problems)
Twitter
Facebook
Minecraft
CeeBeebies
Fuelio
Email (the native app)
Amazon Music

The obvious pattern there is that it seems to be Google apps that are misbehaving. The exception is that Google Maps doesn't crash, but it does run very slowly and seems unable to get any data or a GPS location

Things I've tried or checked so far are :

- safe mode makes no difference
- there were no app updates or new apps at the time the problems started. The most recent updates were the day before, and the phone worked fine between those and the problems starting yesterday lunchtime
- it doesn't seem to make any difference whether I'm using network data or wifi
- I've rolled Android System Webview back to its factory version because I read that it can cause this problem, but it made no difference
- I've restarted the phone many times, and after each change, but it made no difference

- a hard reset seems to help for a while, but the problem soon resurfaces

I'm using an Xperia Z2 running 5.0.2.

Any ideas would be much appreciated!

Many thanks,

Steve.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Apps crashing - seems to be all Google apps

Hi Steve,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting. I'm sorry to hear all your Google Apps appear to be crashing for you.

This sounds like a very strange issue and it can be tough to narrow down the exact cause of the problem.

Is the handset running the latest firmware?

Have you tried doing a factory reset?

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos