Menu
pilkenstein
Just joined
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Anyone else had problems with Sony Xperia Z3, and it's allged 'Wateproof' qualities?

Anyone else had problems with Sony Xperia Z3, and it's alleged 'Waterproof' qualities?

.... because I have, and I'm more than a little disgruntled at the way it's being handled. 

Here's the ad that made me choose it. http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/products/phones/xperia-z3/features/#waterproof

And it was used, following the instructions to the letter, and soon made itself apparent that it wasn't wateproof. It's dead. :-(

Sony are being less than helpful, to the extent that they require £143 to fix a phone that THEY marketed as being wateproof, and Virgin are unable to furnish me with a contact email address where I can follow this up. 

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
ilike2burnthing
Rising star
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Anyone else had problems with Sony Xperia Z3, and it's allged 'Wateproof' qualities?

From that link:
"In compliance with IP65 and IP68, the Xperia Z3 is protected against the ingress of dust and is waterproof. Provided that all ports and covers are firmly closed, the phone is (i) dust tight and (ii) protected against low-pressure jets of water from all practicable directions in compliance with IP65; and/or (iii) can be kept under 1.5 m of fresh water for up to 30 minutes in compliance with IP68. Abuse and improper use of device will invalidate warranty. For more information see www.sonymobile.com/durability "

Are they saying you have done something other than that?
0 Kudos
YourLoss
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Anyone else had problems with Sony Xperia Z3, and it's allged 'Wateproof' qualities?

In a nutshell... Your phone is waterproof because Sony say so. If water damage does occur then your warranty is void because Sony/Virgin can simply refer you to the small print and absolve themselves of any responsibility without any actual proof of misuse whatsoever.

Virgin/Sony would have us believe that there is absolutely no possibility of faulty seals because Sony have a magic phone factory that only employs infallible extraterrestrial unicorns. They would have us believe that the seals have a failure rate of zero. If water does get in then the only explanation is that you left the seals open when you tried to take a photo in the swimming pool. You are obviously that stupid. And so if Sony's phone that Virgin sold you fails to meet its specification then it must be your fault and Sony and Virgin can wash their hands.

Sony's advertising claims and Virgin's warranties are not worth the touchscreen they written on because they have placed a cunningly crafted get out of jail card in the small print.

It's a good job that mobile phones are low voltage devices. Because I know for a fact that Sony's seals are not all they are cracked up to be. Not for the duration of the warranty anyway. The way they are designed to be opened and closed on a regular basis leaves them much more prone to wear and tear than the seals in a similarly rated outdoor junction box (for example). I had an Experia Z and although it never suffered water damage I wouldn't have dared to use in water after the first few months because the charging port seal was clearly damaged (as a result of perfectly normal and acceptable use).

Sony are actually making a claim that they cannot back up in the real word (despite their lab tests). Your phone is sold as waterproof but if water does get in then there is no clear way of determining how it happened. Was it a fault or was it misuse?Toss a coin. And Sony/Virgin know this full well. Hence the small print.

There is only one way to get rich in 2015 and it does not involve honesty or fair play. Put the money in Sony and Virgin's bag. Lay on the floor. You've been robbed.

0 Kudos
Leyland13
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I have had a problem with mine sent it to virgin n they r saying its water damaged despite it never been in water. They are trying to say its condensation from cooking! Going through ombudsmen at present as it is ludicrous that a waterproof phone should stop working because of steam boiling potatoes!!! The phone had previously been fixed as it stopped working after 3 weeks so it appears they didn't seal the unity properly after fixing it. I  have been ignored for over 6 months before they declared the case deadlocked in order to take it further! Disgusted by the way I have been treated! 

0 Kudos