Menu
Peewiglet
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Any way to boost home reception?

Hi all,

I'm new here, so please bear with me!

I've just moved to Virgin from Vodafone. I had no Vodafone reception at work. Now my reception there is great but at home it's pretty awful. The coverage checker says it should be okay for phone calls and texts. I live in the country so no 3G but that's fine. I just need to be able to receive and send calls and texts.

My question is whether there's anything I can do to improve/boost my home reception. Is there a device I can buy, or an App that could help? I saw via Google that some people were able to use the EE booster device, but I also saw that others were not.

My dad is in a hospice and near end of life, so I do need to be able to have mobile reception at home. That's why I'm asking if there's anything I can do.

Many thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Shirl

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Any way to boost home reception?

Mobile phone signal boosters operate in a legally grey area ATM- OFCOM, the regulator has issued no specific guidance to any particular product- just issues a blanket statement that signal repeaters that introduce interference are illegal.

A smart repeater , which will cost around 500 quid IS legal (AFAIK)

Have you thought about a dual SIM handset?  One for work , one for home? That WOULD leave you with two numbers but at least you would be contactable.

Peewiglet
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks for that. I didn't realise there was an issue about them, as I used to have one of the Vodafone things and I believe that EE also have one. 

I think what I'll just have to do is get a cheap phone with PAYG Vodafone card for home.

Thanks again, 

P

0 Kudos
youradds
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Sorry to jump in on your post like this, but I can't believe there are no other options! I run my business from home, and I need my phone to have some reception at all times.

This is how stupid it is! I'm the black dot. Literally if I want 20 metres up the road, I get top notch 4G!!!!!

2017-03-24 at 15-56-53.jpg

There must be a way around this (some kind of booster that Virgin can provide - even if at a cost!

Cheers

Andy

0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Virgin do not do booster, nor do they have WiFi calling. So that is true for both of you

youradds As your phone works down the road it looks like it an EE blackspot whatever the map says

0 Kudos