Menu
Andrew-Lohmann
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Anoying unsolicited calls

I have started occasionally to receive unsolicited calls. That did not used to happen - Virgin being particularly good compared with other mobile phone providers.

This one phoned called yesterday; 01527316164 at 17:13, 28-10-2015
I asked the man about three times to take my name off of there list but he ignored me and continued to insist on trying to ask about a fictitious car crash. I asked if he understood what I was saying he said he did. I then asked him again not to call me again but he continued annoying me with the same question. Finally I cancelled the call.

Please would Virgin confirm the call and report it to the telephone preference service - if that or an equivalent is available for my mobile phone?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Anoying unsolicited calls

Hi all,

I can catergorically and 100% confirm that we are not selling anyones numbers to any 3rd parties.

Some of these companies will have an automated system that will dial the next number in a sequence and will get through in some cases.

I'd advise to potentially sign up with the TPS. They can ensure that any nuiscance calls will be stopped. Check them out here.

Let me know if you have any other queries.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos

All Replies
Andrew-Lohmann
Joining in
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I have just registered my mobile with the Telephone Preference Service. So I can not report this call or any other for 28 days.

My land line has been register for over a decade.

0 Kudos
paperclip
Rising star
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Do these services actually work?
0 Kudos
Andrew-Lohmann
Joining in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I think they do work. The number of these calls started to increase from about none in 1990 then they started to reduce when the TPS started.

BT put me on to it when someone swore at me when I said I did not want to discuss what he was offering. Because of that  swearing incident I was registered for TPS at no cost to me. That was over 15 years ago I think?

TPS does not cost residents anything now and I think is less of a service than it was because I get unsolicited calls from the UK which for a long time just stopped when I first registered with TPS. So as I say yes it does work but use it and report things but I don't mean things that you have opted into but have changed your mind about that is unreasonable.

0 Kudos
Justinuk73
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Snap!

I've been getting these calls myself and I have been very unimpressed with Virginmedia-Mobile selling my number onto third party, especially of the crooked kind.

I've been with then Virginmobile back in 2005. I can't remember my first contract and whether I got to tick or untick check boxes. However, I've never had anything like this at all with Virginmobile or any provider befroe 2005.

I didn't really have this problem once Virginmedia took over Virginmobile. With every new contract I don't get a form to sign and not tick boxes either. Just a welcome letter each time so the options to opt out of PPI and Car Crash calls aren't available to me. i have got Truecaller app on my phone now so I can block these numbers Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Andrew-Lohmann
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I did not know that Virgin gave out our mobile No.s. I think they do not do that. Virgin told me some years ago that they do not give out our phone numbers?

I persuaded mum to switch to Virgin for that reason.

The particular call that I had had a delay before the chap spoke to me. When this has happened on my land-line I have occasionally put the the phone down before the machine transfers to an operator.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Justinuk73 wrote:

Snap!

I've been getting these calls myself and I have been very unimpressed with Virginmedia-Mobile selling my number onto third party, especially of the crooked kind.

I've been with then Virginmobile back in 2005. I can't remember my first contract and whether I got to tick or untick check boxes. However, I've never had anything like this at all with Virginmobile or any provider befroe 2005.

I didn't really have this problem once Virginmedia took over Virginmobile. With every new contract I don't get a form to sign and not tick boxes either. Just a welcome letter each time so the options to opt out of PPI and Car Crash calls aren't available to me. i have got Truecaller app on my phone now so I can block these numbers Smiley Happy

Unbased claims that Virgin sell your number to crooks is slander, unless of course you can offer proof, strangely I have had no calls of this type on my virgin mobile, perhaps they forgot to sell my number

0 Kudos
Justinuk73
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I don't think Virginmedia Mobile are "selling" our numbers to actual scammers/crooks in the sense you're thinking. The PPI, car accident claim industry is crookeds in itself and these campanies are crooked. However, it's all legal crookedness of course.

All companies are allowed to "sell" our details. This is under "sharing our info with ""Third parties"" where boxes are provided to tick or, untick".

Think my words have been taken literally here.

No company "gives" out numbers. They are sold if you don't tick or untick the box about thrid party market. My complaint is that Virgin contracts don't have the forms, anything to indicate this and give customers the chance to see this and tick or untick. That was the point of my post???

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi all,

I can catergorically and 100% confirm that we are not selling anyones numbers to any 3rd parties.

Some of these companies will have an automated system that will dial the next number in a sequence and will get through in some cases.

I'd advise to potentially sign up with the TPS. They can ensure that any nuiscance calls will be stopped. Check them out here.

Let me know if you have any other queries.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos