Menu
fram7
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

American Moving to the UK

Hello all! I am moving to the UK from the US for a year. I am curious if there are restrictions on contracts for new residents. For example, for O2, you have to be over 18, have an open UK bank account, and to have been a resident in the country for at least 2 or 3 years. I will meet the first two qualifications but not the last one. Does Virgin Mobile have the same limitations? 

0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: American Moving to the UK

Almost certainly if you go for a contract as you will be subject to a credit check and you will not fulfil the criteria.

You also saying you are coming for 1 year - most UK contracts last for 2

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi, I would ensure my phone is unlocked and then consider a sim only deal or payg. In the UK mobile pricing is much cheaper that the US. And if you want 4G then Virgin do not supply it in the UK for some reason.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi fram7

Welcome to the community... and soon to our country! Smiley Happy

In order to offer your a contract with a SIM card on a Pay Monthly basis, we're required to run a credit check. As you won't have any credit history in the UK, it's unlikely we'd be able to offer you this initially.

You're best bet in the first instance would be a 'Pay As You Go' SIM. I'm not sure if you have them in the US, but it works on a Pre-Pay basis where you top up credit on to the phone.

We do have some fantastic Pay As You Go offers too with some great perks each month when you top up at least £10. You can pick from either free data and texts or free minutes to use for 30 days in addition to your £10 credit. You can get more information about these offers here and even get your free SIM ordered (UK addresses only).

I know some of the mobile networks work on different frequencies in the US, so you might just need to check with your current provider if your handset would work in Europe (as well as ensuring it's unlocked for use on other networks) if you're hoping to use your current phone in the UK.

If you'd like a shiny new phone to use while you're here, we've got these available to purchase too, starting at just £17.99 for the most basic models which include a SIM card topped up with £10 to get you started Smiley Happy Take a look at the Pay As You Go handsets we have available here.

Let us know how you get on with it.

Many thanks

Mark Y
Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos