Menu
sowilliams
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Alcatel Pixi not storing apps on SD card

Hi,  We bought a Virgin Pixi 3 for my daughter, which came with 2Gb internal storage - mostly filled with Android etc, and after much complaining from my daughter that she couldn't download more apps, today added an 8Gb SD card to expand it.

She has loaded a couple of apps - Whatsapp and Youtube,  but then has hit a block. We have tried to load apps such as Snap chat for her, but the phone says 'not enough storage'.  I cant get the complete detail of what is taking all of the storage on the internal storage of the phone, but the SD card still says it has 7.39Gb free.

Is there a way to install apps on the SD card?  Is there an issue with apps on SD cards? None of the current apps seem to be able to be moved to the SD card - and I don't want to risk losing them by deleting and trying to reinstall.

I am currently contemplating taking it back to Virgin as 'not fit for purpose' as the space on the phone does not support the use of more than about 3 Apps yet it is sold as a smart phone - I have taken the phone off my daughter as she is a teenager who just wants to "smash this stupid phone" because she is so frustrated with it.

Any help that can be given to calm a raging teenager would be appreciated.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Alcatel Pixi not storing apps on SD card

Hi sowilliams,

some apps will only install on the device internal memory and cannot be moved.

However you should be able to free up some space.

To help you could download something like Clean Master (free download). This will check anything that is able to be moved to card storage.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

0 Kudos
sowilliams
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Alex

Thanks for your suggestion

Tried that, and got the same message.  Even when I tried to install cleanmaster lite at a claimed 3.7Mb, with the internal storage showing 193Mb free, it refused to install it saying that it had needed 2.5Mb, and asking me  to delete WhatsApp.  Don't want to do that, as I think part of my daughters stress is that she has forgotten some of the app passwords, and so I really don't want to lose WhatsApp too.

It feels like there is an issue with this phone in some way?  Or is this something others have encountered?

Regards

Stuart

0 Kudos
Magic_M
Up to speed
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Try clearing cached data to temporarily free up some space  (settings > storage > tap on Cached Data).

The short answer is that you're always going to be struggling with the lack of storage. Pre-installed apps cannot normally be deleted or moved out to SD, their updates take up extra internal storage space as the original apk is normally read only. Apps that need to run services in the background really should be in internal storage. There are things you can do to help, many involve rooting the phone, but I'd consider if it's worth the effort really.

0 Kudos