Menu
Pegojosso
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Advice required!

I am a silver surfer and on a good day can switch my laptop on. I do not have a mobile but my son has one on my wifes ac. We are currently in the USA, my son is in england. Owing to the poor and occasionally incomprehensible service offered by the outsourced 789 service I do not wish to discuss my problems with them but would like to try to resolve them thru email. Looking at the site and this forum I see tthere appears to be no way of using that. 

Can someone verify that?

The other problem is that my son's useage of the internet appears abnormal. He says he is not using it and the billing shows either 24 hr useage or times when he should not be able to, 

Is it either someone may have accessed his device and is using his account, or possibly roaming is on permanently - he says it is switched off.

Can anyone advise me if either is the more likely or some other cause.

At the moment the devices are switched off and the account is suspended as he has exceeded the max limit I  had (thankfully) set. 

If left switched off until we return to England will this solve the current problem?

Any help would be gratefully received! 

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Advice required!

Hi Pegojosso,

you are correct. Unfortunately Virgin Mobile do not have an email point of contact.

I would guess it is possible that on your sons device. In the settings it set to send WiFi to "sleep" (battery saving measure) once his phone enters standby.

From then on (until he "wakes it up again") all syncing of emails, checking weather and all the other things that Apps and the phone's OS do will take place using mobile data.

This isn't so much of a problem if you have a good data allowance but once you exceed your allowance. Each usage past midnight will incur another £2 daily charge.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

Superuser1718.png
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Pegojosso wrote:

I am a silver surfer and on a good day can switch my laptop on. I do not have a mobile but my son has one on my wifes ac. We are currently in the USA, my son is in england. Owing to the poor and occasionally incomprehensible service offered by the outsourced 789 service I do not wish to discuss my problems with them but would like to try to resolve them thru email. Looking at the site and this forum I see tthere appears to be no way of using that. 

Can someone verify that?

No, there is no email option.

The other problem is that my son's useage of the internet appears abnormal. He says he is not using it and the billing shows either 24 hr useage or times when he should not be able to, 

Is it either someone may have accessed his device and is using his account, or possibly roaming is on permanently - he says it is switched off.

On mobile, data usage is tied to the SIM. So either someone physically has his device and is using it, or its using data, assuming the billing is correct

At the moment the devices are switched off and the account is suspended as he has exceeded the max limit I  had (thankfully) set. 

If left switched off until we return to England will this solve the current problem?

Yes

Could be that data connection is live (seperate setting to roaming) but if the device is powered down, no way it can use data until your return. To get much further you'll likely need details of what network the data is used on etc which WILL involve a call to 789.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Pegojosso,

you are correct. Unfortunately Virgin Mobile do not have an email point of contact.

I would guess it is possible that on your sons device. In the settings it set to send WiFi to "sleep" (battery saving measure) once his phone enters standby.

From then on (until he "wakes it up again") all syncing of emails, checking weather and all the other things that Apps and the phone's OS do will take place using mobile data.

This isn't so much of a problem if you have a good data allowance but once you exceed your allowance. Each usage past midnight will incur another £2 daily charge.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

Superuser1718.png
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Pegojosso wrote:

Can someone verify that?

No, there is no email option.

On mobile, data usage is tied to the SIM. So either someone physically has his device and is using it, or its using data, assuming the billing is correct

Yes

Could be that data connection is live (seperate setting to roaming) but if the device is powered down, no way it can use data until your return. To get much further you'll likely need details of what network the data is used on etc which WILL involve a call to 789.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Pegojosso

Welcome to the community, I am sure we can help you find some answers to explain what is happening with your Son's data usage.

As AlexKid has pointed out, it would definitely be worth checking if the device in question is disabling its Wi-Fi connection when in standby. If the device is running Android you can find out what apps or services have been using the data in Settings > Data Usage. This will help narrow down exactly what has been connecting to data when Wi-Fi has not been available.

You can also set up a warning and a limit on the amount of data the handset can use before triggering alerts on the phone, helping to prevent him going over his allowance.

Hope this helps, and feel free to keep me updated with how you get on.

Thanks

Liam_T
Forum Team

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos