Menu
Lancastrian6
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Advice needed re using sat nav app on phone in Spain

My wife and I are going to Spain for a short break in April.
I hardly ever use my iPhone abroad but I am hiring a car mainly to get from the airport to the hotel ( which is an hour's drive from the airport but a bit remote ) and back to the airport and only a small amount of mileage in the immediate area near to the hotel.
The car will not have sat Nav but I have a sat nav app on my Iphone which covers Europe
Can I use the sat nav on my phone in Spain and if so will it be costly to use it.
If too costly I will have to manage with a map but it would be handy to have the use of the sat nav.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Advice needed re using sat nav app on phone in Spain

Hi Lancastrian,

Welcome to the forums Smiley Happy

Using your phone abroad will require data roaming on. You can buy an EU data pass to not exceed any major costs abroad. You can find more info on this here.

Let me know if you have any further queries Smiley Happy

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Turn the phone off and pull the SIM out. Turn it back on and see if it boots to a usable state without the SIM.

Leave the SIM at home.

If the phone was unusable as a SatNav without its SIM, when you get you Spain, buy a pay-as-you-go SIM for their equivalent of 99p. You don't need to top it up - you're just doing it to get past the boot stage.

Bear in mind that some handsets may have software that goes a bit nutty if you have no SIM or put a different SIM in. I think Virgin's Mobile Rescue app might be one of them... It might be an idea to remove the app before the trip.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Isnt OP going to need data connection for sat nav on phone?

Smiley Frustrated

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Lancastrian,

Welcome to the forums Smiley Happy

Using your phone abroad will require data roaming on. You can buy an EU data pass to not exceed any major costs abroad. You can find more info on this here.

Let me know if you have any further queries Smiley Happy

Thanks,

Mat

Lancastrian6
Joining in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Mat 😀 - that is great advice and solves my problem 

Keith

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Gorf wrote:

Turn the phone off and pull the SIM out. Turn it back on and see if it boots to a usable state without the SIM.

Leave the SIM at home.

If the phone was unusable as a SatNav without its SIM, when you get you Spain, buy a pay-as-you-go SIM for their equivalent of 99p. You don't need to top it up - you're just doing it to get past the boot stage.

Bear in mind that some handsets may have software that goes a bit nutty if you have no SIM or put a different SIM in. I think Virgin's Mobile Rescue app might be one of them... It might be an idea to remove the app before the trip.

Iphones boot fine with no sim installed. As for the satnav working that will depend on where the satnav app stores its map data. (Most i know of dowload data needed as and when needed) so would need data to work. A prepaid local sim with a data allowance will be the cheapest way so long as the iphone itself is not sim locked. I personally would use a local prepay sim.

200Mb(SH2 SH2AC Hub 3.0), 2 X V6 TV XL, Phone M. 100Mb Business (Hitron Hub).
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

No problem at all Keith Smiley Happy

I hope you have a lovely holiday. A postcard will do me just fine Smiley Wink

I'm here if you need me.

Thanks,

Mat

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

AMWSmith wrote:

...As for the satnav working that will depend on where the satnav app stores its map data. (Most i know of dowload data needed as and when needed) so would need data to work....

The OP said his SatNav app "covers Europe" so I assumed it to be an offline app. As far as I can tell, most SatNav apps download their map data and POIs (points of interest) to the handset's storage. An online app that needs a constant data connection (such as Google Navigation) is potentially useless if you end up in an area with no coverage.

I switched to Android almost four years ago because I was drawn to the idea of free navigation using Google. On my very first trip, on the country roads between Preston and Lancaster, I ended up in a blackspot and had no way of navigating. I ended up purchasing an offline SatNav as soon as I got back.

I apologise if my assumption that the SatNav app is a good one has caused any confusion.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

All he ios sat nav apps i have download data as and when needed. I dont know android and the op is using a iphone so its ios.

200Mb(SH2 SH2AC Hub 3.0), 2 X V6 TV XL, Phone M. 100Mb Business (Hitron Hub).
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

AMWSmith wrote:

All he ios sat nav apps i have download data as and when needed. I dont know android and the op is using a iphone so its ios.

If you're trying to say that there are no offline IOS SatNavs, you need to get out more. The one I use, Sygic, is an offline SatNav that is also available on IOS.

0 Kudos