Menu
Highlighted
notverytechie
Joining in
Message 1 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Activate sim instructions - a bit vague.

This is probably a simple, straightforward process the average six year old would find laughably routine, but if you are senile coffin dodger like me, it is full of ambiguity, uncertainty and confusion. Changed from BlackBerry to iPhone 5, on a sim only, pay monthly deal so ordered a nano sim which duly arrived, simple enough so far. Installed sim - no service. Read instructions, " had your new sim set up for you?" Don't know, but don't think so, besides it hasn't asked for a PIN, so probably not. "Activating new sim yourself?" Guess so, what now? "If you still have your old sim, text READY.... etc" OK, I've still got old sim, but it don't fit new phone, do I text from old phone? Don't know. As it happens, I'd cut the old sim down to nano size, and it seemed to be working OK in iPhone, but it isn't pretty and I've got a new, proper sim, so why not.  Right then, do I put old sim in phone and text, or do I put new one in? Not clear from instructions. Logically should put old sim in, but do I then leave it in and await your text? Or do I take it out and put new one in? Not sure. How long should it take to get a reply? Been waiting about 3 hours now, have I done it wrong or is it just slow? No means of knowing. Just have to wait and see.

No sim? Go to virgin.mobile.co etc, this seems to refer you to "my virgin" which will tell you that you can't access it over WiFi and you must log in using the mobile network. On yeah, no sim, so no signal, so no mobile network, so no access to my virgin. No activating sim. I'm probably wrong on this, but in the absence of an inate technical fifth sense, this is certainly how it seems

Last resort, ring 789. The people on the other end have always seemed pleasant and keen to help, but I have some hearing difficulties and we don't seem to speak the same flavour of the English language so it can all get a bit confusing, for them and for me. That being said, they did a good job of sorting out problems I was having making the BlackBerry work with my wife's sim card. 

All very simple if you know what you are doing, but a nightmare if you don't.

Please explain the process using words of one syllable and don't forget to speak LOUDLY!

Regards, 

David

Helpful Answers
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 27
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Activate sim instructions - a bit vague.

Hi David,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

I'm sorry to hear there was some confusion with activating your new SIM card. I appreciate this has been a frustrating task for you.

When activating a SIM card it can sometimes take up to 24 hours to go live. You'd then get an automated text message on the new SIM card to say it's been updated and to switch the phone off and back on again for the updates to take place. Once this happens the old SIM card would lose the network connection.

You'll be able to access your mobile account here via Wi-Fi no matter whether the SIM card was working or not.

Please let me know if you have any further problems.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos

All Replies
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 27
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi David,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

I'm sorry to hear there was some confusion with activating your new SIM card. I appreciate this has been a frustrating task for you.

When activating a SIM card it can sometimes take up to 24 hours to go live. You'd then get an automated text message on the new SIM card to say it's been updated and to switch the phone off and back on again for the updates to take place. Once this happens the old SIM card would lose the network connection.

You'll be able to access your mobile account here via Wi-Fi no matter whether the SIM card was working or not.

Please let me know if you have any further problems.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
notverytechie
Joining in
Message 3 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Thankyou, I used 789 in the end and they were very helpful.
Regards
David
0 Kudos
MajorBloodnok
Tuning in
Message 4 of 27
Flag for a moderator

I agree about the old/new SIM card instructions ambiguity. Virgin is very unclear about whether you have to use the old SIM to do that texting READY business, or the new one. Useless.

Also, you don't say what choice to make when the new SIM loads first time - does one choose EE or Virgin? Why don't you state this on the instructions that accompany the new SIM? If it doesn't matter, then why not say that? I wasn't sure so decided I'd have to endure a customer service call. Pathetic.

and by the way, Virgin, you need to update your SIM card activation period - I'm on about 40 hrs and waiting. (Just posted a new thread about this)

All in all, a very poor, badly considered service.

0 Kudos
Beckenham1
Tuning in
Message 5 of 27
Flag for a moderator

I agree as I've just upgraded from 3g to 4G which meant a new SIM had to be fitted.

The online instructions show a SIM card being inserted easily. What it doesn't say or show is that the old holder for the 3G Sim has to be used for the 4g SIM. The holder which comes with the new SIM can't be used as it is far too big.

It is really stupid not to give instructions. If  I had not retained the old Sim with it's mount I wouldn't have been able to fit my new 4G SIM.

Two phone calls to Support were of little use, it sounded as if they didn't know what they were saying & just reading  from a script. When trying to described the SIM & the mounts, they didn't understand what oblong meant nor"leading edge" for the cut-off corner at the top left which the gold contacts.

Not supportive at all.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Hi Beckenham1,

the "holder"?

vrgn sim.jpg

The new 4G SIM's come in all three sizes: Mini (standard), Micro and Nano.

You just pop out the size you need to fit your device.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

Superuser1718.png
0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 7 of 27
Flag for a moderator

@ Beckenham1

It sounds like your old SIM was Nano size and a adapter was used to make it Micro size.

The new SIM is a 3 in 1 push out, which means full size would be Standard size - push out next size down would be Micro size - push out smallest one would be Nano size.
---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
macaroni
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 27
Flag for a moderator

I totally agree with the original post. Come on Virgin, read and try out the instructions that come with the sim! On a side note to this, I ordered 2 sims which arrived on the same day for 2 different accounts. The ref numbers on the letters did not correspond to the numbers on my online account so I didnt know which sim was for which phone! Luckily I remembered which I ordered first and back tracked through my emails to see which sim matched which phone. Another avaoidable timewasting exercise Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
Alisha1
Tuning in
Message 9 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Did you have to text ready off your old sim or the new one? I'm having the exact same problem! Such a tedious task, the instructions are no help at all!
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Alisha1 wrote:
Did you have to text ready off your old sim or the new one? I'm having the exact same problem! Such a tedious task, the instructions are no help at all!

Hi Alisha1,

you need to send the text READY to 789678 from your old SIM.

You should receive a text back saying the request has been successful.

Your old SIM will deactivate and some time after your new SIM will become active.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

Superuser1718.png