Menu
Highlighted
tomappleford
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Account unexpectedly cancelled

Whilst walking home I fell down (70 years old) and needed to contact home for help. Then, when I tried to dial home for help, my mobile said I had run out of credit?? As I have had a basic monthly account for several years (as well as Virgin TV, Landline & Broadband) I was surprised at this. Nothing else to do but struggle home for 1 1/2 miles.

An hour on the phone describing the problem twice including security details, I was told I had cancelled my account but they had no note to say it had happened. I eventually spoke to a "manager" who told me that the system was down and they could not reactivate my account and will have to open a new tariff which will be dearer than my old one. Funny, I thought. 

Before this kerfuffle, Virgin sent a mail to say that my tariff was being increased to £9.00 per month from £5.00 and would include 4G and some extra minutes and data and the usual unlimited texts. My iPhone does not receive 4G and I would be happy to have less minutes and data as it was purely an emergency phone only. I threatened to cancel my tariff but the agent said I could have the £5.00 tariff in-perpetuity. I settled for that There is no record of this nor a recording of the conversation.

Then this month (July) I received a bill (as usual) but for only £0.99. I called the support desk and was directed to Billing. After an age waiting I gave up, and in the manner of a 70 year old, forgot all about it. After all I have been a customer for years. In fact from 1982 when United Artist owned the cable company until it was taken over again and again until Virgin took over!

I have had the £5.00 mobile deal for a few years and did not expect this mess. As long as things go well it is a great company, as soon as there is a change it all falls down and takes the unlucky customer to to brink of head explosion to sort it out.

The bill for Virgin Media has increased so many times, but my buying power has degraded at an shocking rate.

I left the manager to sort out my tariff as I was feeling even more unwell. He reminded me that the system was down and my mobile would not be available for a couple of hours. Not to worry, he would call me when it was back on line. 3 days later and still no call or mobile line.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Account unexpectedly cancelled

Hi tomappleford,

in all honesty, if you are only making two or three calls a month (unless they are long calls) I would consider Pay As You Go rather than Pay Monthly.

There's no financial commitment that way and you only pay for what you actually use.

Unfortunately Virgin Mobile's current PAYG tariffs aren't exactly suited for the "light" user. However Three Mobile have a 3-2-1 tariff (3p per minute, 2p per text & 1p per MB) and O2 have a Classic tariff (5p).

There are others as well, just a thought Smiley Wink

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

Superuser1718.png

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

They do a £6 per month plan so I don't know why they told you £9

http://store.virginmedia.com/virgin-media-mobile/sim-only/pay-monthly-sim.html

0 Kudos
tomappleford
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the response. £6 is more than I need. I make only 2 or 3 calls a month, never used the data except to set up the Virgin App. and near WiFi 22 Hours a day? I had a contract agreement with Virgin for 2 or 3 years which suited me and I arranged with a Virgin agent that I could keep to this contract. I have no access or need for 4G. I am not being given any respect for being a long time loyal customer. Don't they want my business. Now phoning Virgin to repeat the details once more as I am still waiting for a "Manager" to call and reinstate my contract. $ days now. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi tomappleford,

in all honesty, if you are only making two or three calls a month (unless they are long calls) I would consider Pay As You Go rather than Pay Monthly.

There's no financial commitment that way and you only pay for what you actually use.

Unfortunately Virgin Mobile's current PAYG tariffs aren't exactly suited for the "light" user. However Three Mobile have a 3-2-1 tariff (3p per minute, 2p per text & 1p per MB) and O2 have a Classic tariff (5p).

There are others as well, just a thought Smiley Wink

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

Superuser1718.png
tomappleford
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

! need something on automatic as my last brain cell is hanging on for dear life. Virgin PAYG is very expensive. I have just had my old service reactivated for 1 year at £5 PCM. 4 Hours of a life gone and a packet of tranquilizers.

Thanks again for listening to my rant.
0 Kudos