Menu
Kirkby49
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Account Management Issues

Can anyone help with two problems managing my account?

1: My phone does not function outside UK ... even in the Isle of Man! .. despite account management site showing roaming enabled.

2: Parental controls seem to be enabled for some websites despite being set to off on account management site.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Account Management Issues

Hi Kirkby49,

Welcome and thanks for posting. Sorry to hear you're having some trouble with your online account.

So I can help you get to the bottom of this could you let me know what the handset is doing in both instances. When you try to use the phone abroad does it connect to a network? I've linked you here to a post regarding roaming if you could check you've followed all the steps. How do you know the parental controls are kicking in? Are you on mobile data only at that time. If you're using WiFi this could be a parental block from the Wifi's broadband connection.

Any other details you can add would be appreciated.

Kind regards

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Kirkby49
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply but I think you are missing the point.

Virgin supply a web site from which users can supposedly manage their mobile phone account(s)

Unfortunately this clearly isnt the case. Settings applied via the web interface seem to be unrelated to the actual settings applied to the phone.

Virgin might well consider correcting this situation. Some people may find it unacceptable.

As an aside; many thanks for the workaround but there really isnt any excuse for the farcical situation regarding roaming.

I've previously had accounts with MT, Sure, EE and O2. All of those operators , two of whom are very small, managed to provide roaming services without recourse to the nonsense required to roam with a Virgin phone.

Please fix it Virgin.

0 Kudos
Kirkby49
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Ive noticed other folks are still having problems with Virgin's Roaming (non) service.

The web interface doesnt necesarily function as expected  and, notwithstanding all the well intentioned advice on this forum, no amount of removing batteries, manual searching for networks, rebooting the device or resetting network settings will or would allow me  roaming outside the UK.

I have been assured this morning that Virgin have, at long last, discovered the fault and made an adjustment to my settings which has corrected the problem. Hopefully that is the case. We will find out tomorrow. 

I called 00447953967967 for assistance with this ongoing problem and dealt with a conscientious operator. 

Having said that, I will be taking a Manx Telecom PAYG phone with us as standby.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Keep me posted with how you get on Kirkby49 Smiley Happy

Please let me know if you need anything at all.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
Kirkby49
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Arrived back in the UK today. Unfortunately, Virgin's Roaming Service didnt function again.. This is disappointing to say the least as, prior to leaving the UK, I had spent over 20 minutes on the phone speaking to a conscientious chap on Virgin's help line who assured me everything was set up correctly for Roaming.

Sadly he was mistaken and it would appear that Virgin are not able to resolve my problem. This has been ongoing for over 12 months and at least I am now free to walk away from the contract without penalty. That is my intention, but Virgin really do need to address this problem which seems to affect a significant number of their contract customers. Even "virtual operators" such as Vrgin have obligations to their customers.

The Manx Telecom mobile, incidentally, functioned perfectly in the IOM, in the UK and in Europe.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I'm really sorry to hear you had troubles once again Kirkby49 Smiley Sad

I've sent you a PM so we can look into this further.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos