Menu
salah
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

5£ each received spam text.

Hi there 

I have just noticed that i have recently been billed by Virgin for 4 received and never answered un-sollicitated Spam texts.

My question is: do i have to pay for any received and never answered un-sollicitated Spam texts if this has never been part of my contract? Or does that CAN be part of my mobile contract without me been aware of it? 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: 5£ each received spam text.

From what I've read bout mobile operators, they are duty bound to let messages for a customer through, even if it is possibly dodgy (premium text.) It doesn't relate to your contract and this problem affects people who are in contract and using PAYG equally.

You could try texting back STOP or STOP ALL

Can you share the number it is coming from? That way people in the community can try to help you find the opt out number for the company wrongfully spamming you.

Additionally, there are number of ways to try find this information out:

* Send a copy of the text to 7726 - that text should cost no more than a standard text message. Virgin would get back to you about it and try to help you opt out.
* Call into 789 and ask them if they have any information about the company and how to opt out.

* Wait for a member of the Forum Team to pick up on your topic and they'll check to see if they have any information on the company spamming you with premium text.

http://www.phonepayplus.org.uk/ may also be able to assist you with the problem.

And one last bit of advise - if you call in to 789 and ask kindly, they may do a one time credit to your account of £20 (to cover the money taken by the un-requested spam premium texts.)

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos
salah
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Shelke for all these valued info. However bound is Virgin toward these type of thiefs, i dont think it is right for Virgin to take money from my account for something i never subscribed to. I think that Virgin or any media provider should try to protect its customers instead of choosing the easy way which is to take our money instead of facing these thief. Our media provider is helping these thieve. They are not taking my money, Virgin is. Why would i be kind to them? For £20? They may have already taken £200.
I might be missing the point. Someone please enlight me.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

salah wrote:

I might be missing the point. Someone please enlight me.

How much would you be willing to have added to your bill as a contribution for the cost for Virgin to employ a team to follow up every premium text sent to any of their customers and establish whether it was legitimate? How much delay would you be willing to accept before receiving a text that has been given the all clear by such a team?

OFCOM have made the facility for premium charges to be collected through your provider. Presumably, VM are able to shave off an admin fee, but realistically, you were going to be billed whichever provider you chose.

You've either been less than careful with your number, you've picked up a recycled number whose previous owner was signing up for these sort of services, someone else has tried to sign up and keyed in the wrong number, someone who doesn't like you has done it as a nasty prank, or it's been randomly generated and it's just your bad luck. Whatever the explanation, it's not Virgin's fault a) that you're being targeted or b) that they are the ones passing the charge on to you.

There are plenty of threads about how to deal with spam texts. None of them say that it's Virgin's responsibility.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi salah,

Welcome to the forumSmiley Happy and thanks for posting.

Sorry to hear you've been receiving premium text messages. Totally appreciate this is frustrating for you.

I can see Shelke and Gorf have been helping you out which is great.

I'd like to help you out if I can as well.

I will send you a private message shortly (red envelope, top left hand side) to gather some further details around this issue.

Speak soon

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

HI salah,

I didn't hear back from you.

Was just wondering if you managed to get this sorted?

Let us know if you need anything.

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos