Fibre optic
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: 4g. when?

Hi Glen1

The golden question that we all want to know Smiley Happy

Unfortunately, there is no confirmed date for 4g

I would HOPE sooner the better but there is no word at the moment

Have I answered your question today? Mark the question as resolved if so!

Mark as helpful answer if this has helped you to show other members the resolution

Virgin Mobile Staff , However, All opinions are my own

enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

This question is getting asked more and more as 4G becomes mainstream and many new phones are 4G

Virgin will have to negotiate their deal with EE, and as they are busy with the BT takeover I can't see anything happening soon.

andrewilley
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Every other serious player in the market (including most of the minor MVNOs) offers 4G mobile data as standard, many of them for several years now. Virgin use EE's network which fully supports 4G, and they have provided 4G for their business customers for some time so the infrastructure is obviously in place and working.

So why do they feel their retail customers should continue to accept an effectively obsolete 3G-only service? 

Andre

0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

This was the 'official' picture in August of last year according to the trade journals.

http://www.mobilenewscwp.co.uk/2015/08/12/virgin-media-wont-be-launching-own-uk-4g-service-anytime-s...

I have also heard a rummer in the trade that they may go 4G sometime in 2016

Don't expect anything soon.

0 Kudos
HughJarsse
Well-informed
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

andrewilley wrote:

Every other serious player in the market (including most of the minor MVNOs) offers 4G mobile data as standard, many of them for several years now. Virgin use EE's network which fully supports 4G, and they have provided 4G for their business customers for some time so the infrastructure is obviously in place and working.

So why do they feel their retail customers should continue to accept an effectively obsolete 3G-only service? 

Andre

Sadly, VM are not interested in 4G (to be honest, they have massive trouble providing reliable, decent strength 3G signal. Check out the number of posts on here regarding poor signal!!)

It is a disgrace that VM are currently offering latest phones, (which you are paying large sums for)  CAPABLE of 4G, but with the 4G option DISABLED!!

Who in their right mind is going to buy a phone that is effectively 'crippled' by the carrier?? like buying a high powered sports car, and finding that it's been fitted with a speed limiter that only lets it use 50% of it's potential??

0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Virgin are a simple supplier of voice and data communication that has advanced little from their early days of PAYG only

No call forwarding although that has been around since 2G days

No sign of voice over wifi

No sign of 4G which will also rule out voice over LTE which is on 3 and being rolled out across all networks.

Basically 20th century technology with 21st century prices

0 Kudos