Menu
alan7070
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

4g 084/087 charges

Hi

Can someone clarify if the new 4g plan included call allowance covers 084/087 numbers? I’m aware they have stopped the extra allowance for these numbers, but it’s not clear if you will now be charged even if you have not used up your call allowance.

To rub salt in the wound, I also cannot get a 4g connection at home. I have tried two 4g LTE capable mobiles and double checked the network type settings. I have yet to try in a different area, but I’m supposedly in a great 4g signal area on the coverage map and a Three sim connects to 4g without any problems.

What are my options for reverting back to the previous sim only deal?

0 Kudos
nickroberts1968
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: 4g 084/087 charges

What i know is that 084/087 numbers are not included in your inclusive minutes now so calling them u will be charged, one of my reasons to stay with virgin

Good luck getting them to revert back to your previous sim only deal i also wanted to be put back on my old deal due to Virgin messing up my deal and cancelling it

After 2 weeks i have given up and gone to Three

So good luck

Highlighted
cfipro
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

From previous "experience" with virgin mobile....once you changed your deal (AND any discount associate to it) you cannot go back to your previous package IF it is no longer available, it is also quite difficult to get back any discount they "offered" in the first place.

I had 3 sim deal contract with 250mins and 1gb/data for £5 each, discount was offered for each (1 contract with 500mb extra data) .

Wanted a 4th contract with same deal for my younger son, they (retention) could NOT offer me same as it was "no longer" available...got 250mins & 500mb/data for £5...was £7 if I wanted 1gb (that's with a £1 discount). 

Got during the last sale 5000mins+ 5000mins  to 0845/0870 & 5GB/data for £10 (£5 discount)

Wanted 4G as soon as it cames out Monday, phoned up...after talking to retention (hope VM dont mind me writing this!!!), said I was not happy losing my £5 discount & 5gb/data only a couple of week after taking out new contract just because I wanted 4G.

Was giving a "loyalty 4G 2500mins + 3GB/data" for £13/months as written on my account this INCLUDE 500mins of 0845/0870 numbers.

BEAR in mind that I have been a VM customer for more than 15 years, paying more than £100 a month in total (TV/broadband/phone&line rental + 4 mobile contracts) SO not too sure this deal will be available for ALL for NOW...I guess in near future, they'll have to offer better deal/discount to most...?!

alan7070
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I called tech support who confirmed I lived in an excellent signal area and no problems locally so I should be getting a 4g signal. They said they would send updated settings to the phone which I suspect is just an APN (already setup) so why would this allow for a 4g signal? Anyway, still haven’t received it.

It was also confirmed that 084/087 numbers are now not included, even as part of the standard minutes. I was told they couldn’t even attempt to revert back to the previous tariff until the next refresh date which takes me over 14 days from the order date… if that makes any difference? They also couldn’t confirm I would be able to revert at that point anyway.

I can see a switch to Three in my future.

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Ok first don't just believe someone who is selling

Go to the EE website, put you email address in, choose map drill down to you exact location to check or your risking......
alan7070
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

The EE coverage checker says great outdoor, good indoor. OK for 4G and double speed 4GEE, but not 4G+.

I have been out and about today and not received 4G at any point... only 3G (H connection indicator) I thought Three use the same mobile network/masts as EE? I’m getting speed tests of 9-15Mbps down and 2-3Mbps up (two different phones) with this newly activated Virgin Mobile 4G sim. Exactly what I got with the old sim and also when I change to 3G under “Preferred network type” and it still shows “H”.

When I switch to the Three sim I get 45-50Mbps down 18-22Mbps up and the connection indicator shows 4G on both mobiles. Still not had the settings update… really hope they can put me back on the old plan.

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Three don't use EE kit they have their own
0 Kudos
alan7070
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

So when did the deal to share 4G masts stop?

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I'm not sure that was with EE I thought O2
0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Here you go

In order to provide coverage parity with other networks in the UK, Three initially maintained a national roaming agreement with an established 2G network operator. Until 2006, O2[11] operated this service for Three customers. However, Orange was selected as the new national roaming partner from 10 May 2006.[11]

Since Three invested heavily in 3G technology since its inception and wanted to run a 3G only service (which in turn would make infrastructure costs cheaper, which could be passed onto the consumer) it was criticised in the early days for offering a very patchy 2G service in favour of 3G, when 3G had not fully caught on enough to achieve mass adoption, and Orange 2G was adopted in areas as a fallback where 3G wasn't available. The 2G fallback coverage provided by Orange has since been removed as Three believes 3G and 4G technology is now sufficient enough for mass adoption - and as a result, older phones that support only 2G networks are not compatible with the Three network.[12] From 2013, Three no longer provided a significant 2G fallback for most of the United Kingdom.

On 18 December 2007, T-Mobile and Three launched a 50:50 joint venture called Mobile Broadband Network Limited (MBNL) which aimed to combine both of their 3G networks and provide almost complete 3G population coverage by the end of 2008.[13] On 12 November 2010, MBNL announced that the network had reached a total of 12,000 combined sites.[14]

So we were both correct Smiley Happy
0 Kudos