Menu
55brianb
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

4G or not 4G?

Does Virgin support 4G?  My iPhone 5 and Lumia 640 only show 3G and despite having a full signal, the download speeds are abysmal, typically 0.10Mb/s with a 60ms ping.

I'm seriously considering moving to another network but want to check if VM support 4G, or perhaps I need a new SIM card?

Thanks

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: 4G or not 4G?

55brianb wrote:

Does Virgin support 4G?  My iPhone 5 and Lumia 640 only show 3G and despite having a full signal, the download speeds are abysmal, typically 0.10Mb/s with a 60ms ping.

I'm seriously considering moving to another network but want to check if VM support 4G, or perhaps I need a new SIM card?

Thanks

Unbelievable, isn't it?  About a year ago, VM mixed into a thread and said they had no plans to add 4G.  I don't understand why anyone takes this ridiculous product.

The headline web page doesn't mention that 4G is not supported.  The only place you'll find it, sort of, is in the small print which I have reproduced below (in larger print).  Look for the 384K they say you can expect as a data rate!  And no tethering.

General: Phones subject to availability. From July 2016, your Pay Monthly Standard Contract & Freestyle Airtime Contract will be adjusted every year on your July bill by the Retail Price Index (RPI) rate of inflation announced in the May before. Included in your tariff (subject to the allowance specified): UK calls to UK landlines (beginning 01, 02, 03) & UK mobile networks. Calls and texts to Jersey, Guernsey and Isle of Man mobiles not included. UK texts and data only. You should expect speeds delivered up to 384kbps (3G), actual speeds experienced may be higher or lower and will vary by device and location. You cannot share your data connection with other devices - known as "Tethering" - or use your phone for peer to peer file sharing. Acceptable use policy applies. Calls to 08 (incl. 0870 and 070) numbers not included in monthly allowance (other than those included in the unlimited 08 tariff ) and cost up to 41p and £2.50 a minute respectively in the UK (see our tariffs for details). Pay Monthly service terms apply.

It has to be one of the crappiest deals in town, and the method of promoting it is disreputable, imo.  Perhaps they were afraid of people having faster phone than broadband!

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I'm afraid at the moment Virgin Mobile only support 3G

AlexKid:-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
If this has helped answer your question > click 'Helpful Answer' also.

0 Kudos
55brianb
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, but why's it so darned slow?

0 Kudos
James_Wimpostor
Joining in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

It damn well should do considering how overpriced their 3G service is, and they have the nerve to refer to their service as unlimited when that couldn't be further from the truth when you get capped at 2G speeds after not very long!
0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

55brianb wrote:

Thanks

Unbelievable, isn't it?  About a year ago, VM mixed into a thread and said they had no plans to add 4G.  I don't understand why anyone takes this ridiculous product.

The headline web page doesn't mention that 4G is not supported.  The only place you'll find it, sort of, is in the small print which I have reproduced below (in larger print).  Look for the 384K they say you can expect as a data rate!  And no tethering.

General: Phones subject to availability. From July 2016, your Pay Monthly Standard Contract & Freestyle Airtime Contract will be adjusted every year on your July bill by the Retail Price Index (RPI) rate of inflation announced in the May before. Included in your tariff (subject to the allowance specified): UK calls to UK landlines (beginning 01, 02, 03) & UK mobile networks. Calls and texts to Jersey, Guernsey and Isle of Man mobiles not included. UK texts and data only. You should expect speeds delivered up to 384kbps (3G), actual speeds experienced may be higher or lower and will vary by device and location. You cannot share your data connection with other devices - known as "Tethering" - or use your phone for peer to peer file sharing. Acceptable use policy applies. Calls to 08 (incl. 0870 and 070) numbers not included in monthly allowance (other than those included in the unlimited 08 tariff ) and cost up to 41p and £2.50 a minute respectively in the UK (see our tariffs for details). Pay Monthly service terms apply.

It has to be one of the crappiest deals in town, and the method of promoting it is disreputable, imo.  Perhaps they were afraid of people having faster phone than broadband!

55brianb
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Sephiroth wrote:

55brianb wrote:

Thanks

Well in fairness I've been with them for more than a year, but have been thinking recently that the deal was just a bit too good to be true, especially since I only started using the data part which is VERY disappointing, in August/September. 

I just ran a speed test on EE (on another iPhone) and am getting 94.35 Mbs d/l and 44.20 Mbs u/l, both of which are hugely faster than my BT broadband!  Where I live (in London, 1/2 mile from the North Circular Road) Virgin broadband isn't available!

No contest!

Thanks all - Bye V Mobile.

EvoUK
Superfast
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I've been asked by phone and by mail to take up a Virgin mobile sim deal and tbh I've declined every time because of this. It's shocking when every other network provides 4G, but VM doesn't. How they can say their sim deals are great value I just don't know! 

0 Kudos
Talon
Tuning in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I went into my local virgin store the other week to see if anything had changed re:4g. The assistant said it would be happening later in the year to which another passing assistant said it wouldn't be happening !!!!!  Evidently things may be changing with the infrastructure, I took that to mean provider (presently EE). I am presuming things are changing because of all the merges with telecoms companies just recently, just my opinion.

0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Virgin have either to negotiate a new deal with EE (BT) who it appears are charging a premium to supply the likes of Virgin with 4G, or move operators. 

There is a suggestion that Virgin may now make a play for O2, but who knows?

Either way, nothing will happen anytime soon.

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

... and all that is the very reason not to take Virgin Mobile. It is a shabby deal not to offer 4G.

The unwary won't find out until they read every word in the very small print of the contract. Clue: In Fair Usage Policy in the Mobile Broadband terms!!

0 Kudos