Menu
vp_tso
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

4G on Virgin Mobile with 4G SIM

Hi everyone!

I wonder if anyone else is experiencing the same issue. I asked to be upgraded to a 4G SIM Only contract from a 3G contract. I received a new 4G SIM with my number already programmed and it works. Except the speed I'm getting is still 6mpbs or less. Exactly what I got with my 3G SIM.

I am in a 4G area with "good" 4G coverage according to Virgin Mobile's coverage checker website. My phone (Sony Xperia Z Ultra) is 4G LTE compatible. "LTE (preferred)/WCDMA/GSM" is selected in the 'Preferred network type" box. However next to the signal bars, it still says "H+". 
What am I missing please?

Thank you very much for any replies.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: 4G on Virgin Mobile with 4G SIM

It all will change on your next refresh date
---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos

All Replies
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It all will change on your next refresh date
---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
vp_tso
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

teabag, thank you very much for your quick reply. Makes sense I guess. But just wish they had told me this on the phone so wouldn't have had to post this question!

Thanks again. Much appreciated. 

mdbray66
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I've just upgraded my daughter's phone to the new 4G SIM. It's been activated but she cannot get any data connnection outside of WI-FI.

Is the resolution going to be the same, that it will all be sorted at refresh date?

Thanks

Mike

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

mdbray66 wrote:

I've just upgraded my daughter's phone to the new 4G SIM. It's been activated but she cannot get any data connnection outside of WI-FI.

Is the resolution going to be the same, that it will all be sorted at refresh date?

Thanks

Mike

Hi Mike,

unfortunately there are quite a few posts on this forum from people experiencing the same problem.

Your daughter won't get 4G until after her refresh but should still have 3G data now along with her calls and texts.

I would recommend a call to 789 and ask them to refresh your daughter's data connection.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

0 Kudos
mdbray66
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Alex

I did ring on Saturday afternoon. They didn't suggest that themselves but I will give it another go and suggest it to them.

I guess at the moment I'm paying for a data connection that doesn't work, either on the old 3G contract or the new 4G one.

Th refresh date is the 5th December, that's a long way off.

MIke

0 Kudos
jhuk
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I am now one month+ after 4G Sim activated, so on my refresh and now phone still says H+ and speed is 5Mb/s DL 0.3Mb/s UP, as poor as before.

Network provider was stuck at virgin so only as fast as G but I selected Virgin so the faster HSPA+ option.

Phone is Moto X Gen 2/Marshmallow so up to date and set for using 4G only in settings , and rebooted once my refresh came through today.

0 Kudos