Menu
AndyMcA
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

4G for existing customers

My 4G story...

I have two Virgin mobile pay monthly phones and one PAYG, I also have triple-play Virgin media services at home. I have called Virgin mobile three or four times the last year to enquire about the launch of 4G, and the first couple of times I was told they could not say when it would be available as they had not been told so could not pass on any news to customers. The last couple of times I have been told the same about the launch but I asked if I would get 4G automatically added to my tariff without having to switch tariffs or pay more per month. I was told I would get 4G automatically included in my tariff when it was launched, and would be notified first by text or email.

Since a number of websites have been claiming recently that V mobile would launch 4G in October this year, I have been checking the website often. On Monday (7th Nov) I noticed that the website was advertising 4G tariffs for consumers (not just business users as previously). I called V mobile and was told that they could only apologise that the information I had been given previously was false and while 4G it’s now available to all consumers, it is only available with a new set of tariffs. While I sort of understand this, I am disappointed that I was given completely false information previously, and clearly the operator did this to reduce the chances of me opting to cancel my contracts.

I was told that the nearest tariff to mine was the same price, so I could switch to a tariff with 4G, BUT it included more call time minutes (300 mins instead of the 250 I have ) and less data – 300MB compared to the 1GB I have now. I explained that I always used around 600-800MB of data per month but only use a fraction of my call time minutes so needed to keep the 1GB minimum data per month. I was told I would have to switch to a more expensive tariff to get 1GB data or I could check back in a few weeks to see if V mobile had amended their tariffs i.e. increased the data allowance on the lowest tariff or decided to add 4G to existing customers tariffs without them having to switch.

I find this to be very poor treatment of loyal customers. Many customers have stayed with Virgin (Media and mobile) having been promised 4G on their existing tariffs as soon as it launched. Come on Virgin, sort it out. Look after your loyal customers!

greg_ory
Joining in
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: 4G for existing customers

Hi Andy,

I was told the exact same story; I will monitor the prices available the next two month and hit a decision at some stage if I stay with Virgin or move on. I do not think that customer loyalty is getting appreciated to be honest so why bother?

Cheers,

-Greg

P.s.: Check this thread from time to time and you will find a sim at some point :-)

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/hukd-sim-only-thread-cheapest-sim-only-deals-free-sim-offers-2481975

0 Kudos
AndyMcA
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Greg

That's great. Thanks for the supporting comments, I will do the same. Thanks for the link also, i do use HUKD quite often but haven't checked out the SIM only deals so will keep looking there too.

Cheers
Andy
0 Kudos
lotharmat
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Same here - 300MB is paltry!

I'm perfectly happy with 250 mins and 1GB..

0 Kudos