Menu
swoop2
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

4G data fair usage policy

I'm looking at changing from giffgaff to Virgin Mobile but I'm confused (and quite frankly annoyed). Either I'm reading the website incorrectly, it's out of date or it's just plain lying in regards to mobile data speeds.

The page that details 4G data (from http://store.virginmedia.com/virgin-media-mobile/our-mobile-network/fast-4g-data-speeds.html) says:

Is there a fair usage policy on 4G plans?
Not at all! We give you our top possible 4G speeds morning, noon and night, so you’ll have the speed you need for your whole data allowance, with no slow down or throttling.

Great news, exactly what I was after! However, if you dig around in the small print elsewhere, you find a different statement in the terms and conditions (from http://store.virginmedia.com/the-legal-stuff/our-service.html#5):

Excessive use over 3.5GB of data per calendar month will result in your maximum bandwidth being restricted to 3G speeds (384kbit/s downstream, 200kbit/s upstream) on our network.

This is quite clearly the complete opposite of not having a fair usage policy! What I find even more ridiculous is that they sell packages which include more than 3.5GB of data, knowing that some of it is going to be at massively throttled speeds..!!

Can someone explain please? I'm hoping it's a mistake but I'm guessing it's some dodgy legal wordplay because it doesn't actually mention it's called a fair usage policy...
0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: 4G data fair usage policy

No fair usage policy with the 4g Sims :-)

The policy you link and refer too, is for the 3g Tarriffs.

Very confusing I know, but Virgin seem to mix-up their T&C's together and not explain what they actually apply to :-(
---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
swoop2
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hmm, I'm not so sure... I read it again and it says your speed will be throttled to 3g speeds, which would infer you were on something better than 3g speeds.

Also, in the section titled "Terms and conditions of service: 4G", it says that your data allowance is applicable for 3G and 4G data, something about not distinguishing any difference.

Is there something definitive in the terms and conditions saying that it doesn't apply to 4G? If so could you point me at it please?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

swoop2 wrote:
Hmm, I'm not so sure... I read it again and it says your speed will be throttled to 3g speeds, which would infer you were on something better than 3g speeds.

There are speeds above in between 3G and 4G that are available as part of a 3G plan. Specifically HSDPA and HSDPA+ and are phone dependent. So it's those additional technologies that the terms are talking about when saying you're throttelled to 3G speeds

4G Tariffs don't have that particular term applied, but I agree it's a little confusing in the terms.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Swoop2 said: "
Is there something definitive in the terms and conditions saying that it doesn't apply to 4G? If so could you point me at it please?"

Nothing I can find, but also looking at it another way - there is nothing anywhere in the T&C's to say it does apply to the 4g plans :-)

A family member I have is a big data user, and did use the GB's upto high teens with a 20GB sim last month, same speed from start to end :-)
---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
swoop2
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I'd prefer something written down saying it wasn't, but a family members experience and someone from VM saying it isn't is good enough for me I guess - it's not a year contract after all. They really should tidy up the T&Cs though...!

Thanks Smiley Happy
0 Kudos