Menu
JitteryPinger
Up to speed
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

4G: EE vs. Virgin

So today I've taken delivery of my new Virgin Media 20GB 4G Sim Only....

I'm currently an EE customer (24 months) though I'd save myself £10 and have a go at Virgin's new 4G tariffs as I've also got their Broadband....

Virgin was adamant on Twitter that they don't throttle the bandwidth achievable on the EE network, sorry but thats seems to be untrue....

Currently I cannot get the Virgin Sim to do a speed test faster than 24/7mbps.... my EE sim however in the same iPhone 7 can get 74/23mbps.(also tested as fast as 148/47mbps) in 4G+ area's...

DAF95BFD-BAA0-468F-9315-C2EC6B725D6E.jpgFCC95C07-2837-40F8-A7BA-88FA1587DC1C.jpg

Now, 24mbps download isn't the end of the world but the upload isn't exactly great.... the chances of me going live on Facebook, or hosting a Video chat with someone and having great HD quality video has just been slashed... and to be honest theirs more chance I'll be able to stream HD content to my phone...

Now I understand BT had/has a similar restriction on their sims, however I'm not seeing an option to boost my 4G speed like you can on BT....

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
JamesRoberts330
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: 4G: EE vs. Virgin

JitteryPinger wrote:

teabag wrote:
There is no speed boost for 4g available with Virgin, they all run at the advertised 25mbps down, on the upload side, I manage low 8mbps.

For the amount of data your getting for the price your paying on a 30day contract, you can't expect amazing speeds :-)

Can you link me to the advertised speeds please?

http://store.virginmedia.com/virgin-media-mobile/our-mobile-network/fast-4g-data-speeds.html

If you look on this page the advertised 25mbps are clearly stated on the page and in the FAQ section. Hope that helps.

0 Kudos

All Replies
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

There is no speed boost for 4g available with Virgin, they all run at the advertised 25mbps down, on the upload side, I manage low 8mbps.

For the amount of data your getting for the price your paying on a 30day contract, you can't expect amazing speeds :-)
---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
JamesRoberts330
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

teabag wrote:

This is exactly how I see the service I get from Virgin Mobile, I mean I knew when I signed up I'd never get over 25mbps 4G speed which to me is perfectly acceptable. If I wanted faster speeds I'd have joined Vodafone, EE etc. plus being on Virgin Media with 200mbps Broadband I could do all downloading and gaming a home. I have tried Facebook LIVE and viewing HD videos without any problems whatsoever.

Also the prices of the tarriffs are very reasonable for what you get, I doubt any other network would offer 20GB of 4G data for the £15 a month Virgin are currently offering.

0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Up to speed
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

teabag wrote:

0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Up to speed
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I suppose I've judged them prematurely then... I shall give their new tariffs a chance...

I think I've just grown a custom to the big speeds I can get from EE.

One thing I'm a little ticked off with is the lack of VoLTE that is available on EE and not Virgin.... WiFi calling would be good too but I suppose i'll have to see if these things have a real life impact on my usage... WiFi Calling wasn't something I used much.

I'm also assuming I won't get access to EE's recently launched 800Mhz spectrum.... not that it would be much use being as there's no VoLTE available from Virgin :/

0 Kudos
JamesRoberts330
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

JitteryPinger wrote:

teabag wrote:

http://store.virginmedia.com/virgin-media-mobile/our-mobile-network/fast-4g-data-speeds.html

If you look on this page the advertised 25mbps are clearly stated on the page and in the FAQ section. Hope that helps.

0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Up to speed
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, I didn't see that before now... as above I'll give it a go and see how I find it.

0 Kudos
JamieMA
Up to speed
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Virgin should probably advertise it as 3.5G.

0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Up to speed
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Why??
0 Kudos
olisun
Up to speed
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

If the speeds are capped at 25mb / 7mb then isn't the following statement on the VM site a bit ontradictory?

"Our fast 4G speeds turn your phone into a pocket rocket

Whether you’re browsing, streaming, gaming, chatting or simply finding your way to the pub, life’s speedier with 4G on Virgin Mobile.

We give you our top possible 4G speeds morning, noon and night, so you’ll have the speed you need for your whole data allowance."

0 Kudos