Menu
Hopkinsons
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

3x failure must be a breach of contract

This is the third time I've tried and failed to get use out of my phone while travelling abroad. I pay for mobile Web and I get nothing, so I get a refund and a promise it won't screw up again, but it does. Every. Damn. Time.

Surely if virgin can't deliver on this one fundamental feature of a mobile phone service.. Yanno, like, mobile stuff, internationally mobile, on the go type of thing.. Can it really claim to NOT be in breach of contract??

yeah I'm pretty fed up. I'm in Germany on a hotel WiFi trying to get everything done before bed because I haven't been able to get a damn working 3g or 4g signal at all, all day. Data roaming is on, my account is set to roam, international calls are allowed, everything is as it should be but nothing works.

As far as I'm concerned this is far short of what I'm paying for, it's not fit for purpose and the contract is dead. If virgin wanna finally pull a live rabbit out of a hat between now and sometime before next Tuesday when I'm back in the UK they can save a customer, but I'm burned by the previous history of broken promises so I'm expecting precisely diddly squat.
0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: 3x failure must be a breach of contract

Keep trying, reboot your phone every few hours, EE control the network and they have reported major roaming issues, that it was resolved but isn't. I expect they will find the issue and resolve it soon enough.

I suspect your contract does not have roaming as a core component, but rather only has UK services core.

The excuse for that is that they have no control over foreign networks that they depend on to provide the roaming service.

whilst on wifi look up the EE pages for network and roaming coverage there may be an update upon it. Good luck.

0 Kudos
Hopkinsons
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the feedback John. I think the problem is deeper than just network provision since it has been going on for 3 years now, always with the same symptoms. This time around it seems everyone else is getting the same behaviour but in my case there's some basic problem with the account set up.

Just over a year ago when I took a new contract, however, the issues I'd had with roaming were a talking point, promises were made and they have subsequently been 2x broken in this contract period. I had this issue last October, when nobody else was struggling. Virgin were well aware that I travel multiple times a year. If my account for whatever reason isn't suited to travel in Europe then it was missold. That falls entirely on the heads of those at virgin.

A refund of my data purchase that I never got to use after the fact is not the point. If my phone contract is useless while I'm mobile in Europe then it's useless period. It's not what I was promised, not what I'm paying for, and not fit for purpose.

Virgin can still fix this, if they give a damn. If my phone burst into life while on the road tomorrow then they'll have a happy customer because he has what he's paying for and has no need to complain. So far, though, tumbleweed. Smiley Sad
0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

As far as contracts go they can all (when set up correctly) work, I've had multiple phones and all mine have worked when roaming.

Sorry if this sounds insulting, but is your phone correctly set up and does the web account show roaming active, lastly what's the make and model of the phone, I'll check if there are any issues

0 Kudos
Hopkinsons
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I'm not insulted John! Its the right question. Smiley Happy

All settings on the account are correct and data roaming is enabled on Android. The problem has persisted over 2 androids and a blackberry, never working and always apologised for after the fact. Virgin tell me it's an account problem and they promise to fix it, but they don't.

For example, on my way to France this time I tried to buy 250MB. "Error, phone virgin." So I do, they see the error, promise to fix it and to call me back. I told them when I would be going through the tunnel, to make sure there's no confusion.

Since then, no call, no text, nothing. Now, in MY world, if you try to ring someone and the call won't connect, and you're responsible for that fact, it would be a big red escalating flag. Virgin know I'm having problems, they're supposed to be calling me and they can't. No brainer, right?

The phone I have now is a umi touch but it was the same with my virgin LG L90 last October. Rinse and repeat.

I am connected to T-Mobile de at the moment. Connecting to a service is not an issue. Sending and receiving data, texts and making calls is the issue. I can do now of these.

Thanks for your interest, John! At least someone is interested. Apparently virgin aren't.
0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

After a good search, the only resolution I can find is switching cellular date one, but you've done that already. Virgins customer service has all gone one way from the time they made their one and only mobile call centre redundant, everyone not multi tasks, tv, broadband, land line, mobile, spread the jam thin it's hard to taste

0 Kudos