Menu
wendyszymkowicz
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

3g data speeds in Liverpool are bad

for the last 10-14 days my data speeds have been abysmal and either extremely slow or non existent, i live in a major city with masts everywhere and recently ive done speed tests which where from 7mbps upto 11mbps which is good but last week or two have been getting upto 1mbps if lucky for few seconds and as low as 0.05mbps and at times nothing at all ???? surely this has to be a technical fault as im using a samsung note 4 and its all upto date etc so cant be the handset so could u please shed some light on why the 3g signal is so poor ????
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: 3g data speeds in Liverpool are bad

I think this still applies but I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

For customers who joined Virgin Media after 25 June 2012 excessive use over 3.5GB of data per calendar month will result in their maximum bandwidth being restricted to 3G speeds (384kbit/s downstream, 200kbit/s upstream) on our network. For customers who joined before 25 June 2012 excessive use over 2GB of data per calendar month will result in this restriction being applied. This policy will apply until the end of the calendar month, when it will be automatically removed. We reserve the right to review these usage levels from time to time. At this reduced speed, customers will still be able to browse web pages, send/receive emails, and stream audio and video all at 3G data speeds, but peer-to-peer and large file downloads/uploads will be slower than normal.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You could try putting your post code into the EE network status checker:

http://ee.co.uk/ee-and-me/network/4gee/network-status-checker

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong :-) If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Wendyszymkowicz,

Welcome to the forums Smiley Happy

As Enlli correctly pointed out, it sounds like you've exceeded your usage under the fair usage policy. Speeds are capped generally at 2G speeds when this is exceeded. This is put in place until the end of the calendar month.

Let me know if you have any follow up questions to this.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

All Replies
wendyszymkowicz
Tuning in
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

or could it be that i have been capped ?? i have read that a few people have been capped due to exceeding data usage but i am apparently paying for unlimited data and was not aware of any capping !!
0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I think this still applies but I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

For customers who joined Virgin Media after 25 June 2012 excessive use over 3.5GB of data per calendar month will result in their maximum bandwidth being restricted to 3G speeds (384kbit/s downstream, 200kbit/s upstream) on our network. For customers who joined before 25 June 2012 excessive use over 2GB of data per calendar month will result in this restriction being applied. This policy will apply until the end of the calendar month, when it will be automatically removed. We reserve the right to review these usage levels from time to time. At this reduced speed, customers will still be able to browse web pages, send/receive emails, and stream audio and video all at 3G data speeds, but peer-to-peer and large file downloads/uploads will be slower than normal.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You could try putting your post code into the EE network status checker:

http://ee.co.uk/ee-and-me/network/4gee/network-status-checker

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong :-) If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Wendyszymkowicz,

Welcome to the forums Smiley Happy

As Enlli correctly pointed out, it sounds like you've exceeded your usage under the fair usage policy. Speeds are capped generally at 2G speeds when this is exceeded. This is put in place until the end of the calendar month.

Let me know if you have any follow up questions to this.

Thanks,

Mat

wendyszymkowicz
Tuning in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the info guys much appreciated, so the cap will be removed as of 1st march ?
0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Should be

Please let us know what happens

wendyszymkowicz
Tuning in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I will thanks for the help.
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Feel free to pop a post up about this tomorrow Wendy Smiley Happy

I'll be here to help if you need anything .

Thanks,

Mat

0 Kudos
wendyszymkowicz
Tuning in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi guys,

It appears i was capped but happy now that i have my full expected speeds back, i will in future keep this in mind.

Many thanks to the people who helped me out i really appreciate it.

Thanks again,
Wendy.
0 Kudos