Menu
tillmoodal
Tuning in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

3G issue

I have bought an iPhone 6 and have been looking forward to having access to 3G.  Perhaps I should have known better! The 3G signal strength is displayed top left on phone display and despite showing 3 out of 5 dots as solid I cannot access the Internet as the phone flashes up a message saying that it is not connected to the internet.  Am I expecting too much of 3G?  Checking signal strength map, it is shown as moderate or good for my Lincolnshire village.  My location is 53 48N 00 43W

Tags (1)
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
mronks
Dialled in
Message 14 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: 3G issue

I think the network is fundamentally broken, I have areas including the whole of Leeds City centre where I have full hsdpa (3g) signal but no data what so ever, if I travel a mile or two it will work, seem to be patches like this. Personally I'm currently looking to move to a new network as it's just one issue after another, along with the 22% price rise they just put on me.

0 Kudos
wonkotsane
Fibre optic
Message 15 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I've had what sounds like the same problem with Three. Strong signal and a H or H+ but no data. It was caused by a fault on the cell that meant it had practically no bandwidth but wasn't contacting as there was plenty of capacity on the cell itself. Have you asked other people in the area on EE or Virgin if they have the same issue?
Massage an ego, click the kudos button. If someone answers your question, mark it as helpful.
Be nice, eat all your vegetables and keep your room tidy.

All Replies
wonkotsane
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Looking forward to 3G? It's old technology, are you sure you don't mean 4G?
Massage an ego, click the kudos button. If someone answers your question, mark it as helpful.
0 Kudos
tillmoodal
Tuning in
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Would that I had that luxury of choice!Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
wonkotsane
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Must be a Virgin Mobile limitation, I'm on Three and I get 4G most places and VoLTE is being rolled out locally too.

There could be a couple of reasons for you getting no internet. It might be a fault in the area and they're not always going to be reported on their website so it's worth checking with customer services. It's worth checking the EE checker for your area as well as that's the network Virgin uses. It could be that your phone doesn't have the right internet settings and you need Virgin to send an update out to your handset. It could be that you have a good connection but the mast doesn't have the capacity. Virgin will struggle to diagnose that as it's EE's infrastructure and EE are notoriously reluctant to admit there is a fault with anything, even if you hand it to them on a plate. Long story short, you're going to need to call customer services.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi tillmoodal

Welcome to the community.

I'm sorry to hear you're having some issues with data on your handset.

Could you just check that 4G is disabled on your handset? (Settings > Mobile Data > Mobile Data Options > Voice & Data and ensure that it's set to '3G' not 'LTE')

If the handset is trying to connect to the 4G network it can cause issues with your data service.

Let us know how you get on.

Many thanks

Mark Y
Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
tillmoodal
Tuning in
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Well the settings you suggest for checking are all OK.  In a sense, the issue is resolved but not truly in a satisfactory manner.  I consulted Virgin Support who told me to disengage the "Automatic" switch to a cellular network.  Instead they said to manually allow a search for networks which comes up with two Virgin and one "3" in these parts.  I then had to select the first of the Virgin networks upon which 3G was available.  The Automatic switch should work but doesn't.  That's not good!  The other lass than ideal occurrence is that with the iPhone switched off in the normal way, the Network selection is no longer there when the phone is switched back on.  It does another search selecting the correct network on its own.  Summing up then I do have 3G but the iPhone/Virgin Sim is not delivering precisely what it should and access to 3G is therefore what I'd describe as clunky.

0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

For reference the two Virgin signals equate to the old T-Mobile and Orange signals which now make up EE.

Virgin (capital V) is T-Mobile whilst virgin (lower case v) is orange.

Virgin were originally on T-Mobile and it seems it still uses it by choice, whereas EE phones will pick the better of the two.

EE are in an ongoing program of reconfiguring masts and decommissioning some deemed not needed. All this gives ongoing problems to Virgin users and is the reason some get poor signal when the EE checker says it is good.

The answer to the problem is for Virgin to reprogram their SIMs to act in the same manner as those issued by EE, but this does not appear to be happening.

0 Kudos
Enceladus1
Superfast
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Do you mean your phone finds "Virgin" and "virgin"? IE with and without a capital letter "V"?

I thought that EE had fixed this some years ago. Virgin is a virtual operation running on the EE network. "Virgin" used to indicate T-Mobile infrastructure and "virgin" meant Orange.

0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Enceladus1 wrote:

Do you mean your phone finds "Virgin" and "virgin"? IE with and without a capital letter "V"?

I thought that EE had fixed this some years ago. Virgin is a virtual operation running on the EE network. "Virgin" used to indicate T-Mobile infrastructure and "virgin" meant Orange.

It appears this is not always the case. We have had a few people on here with poor signal who have found that both show up and changing from one to the other improves things. I suspect that full integration on EE will take a bit longer. There is talk of reconfiguring one of two masts to carry 4G while the capacity on the other is increased

0 Kudos
tillmoodal
Tuning in
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Just to confirm a detail, I am using the capital V for Virgin network (i.e. T Mobile) as advised by Virgin Mobile Support. As I go through applying the advice I have been given the plot just gets thicker. Driving out into the local countryside I have now tried latching on to the Virgin network followed by attempting to open a widely used web site.  The area is said to have "Good outdoors, poor indoor cover".  Nowhere can I open a web site using the cellular network.  So it seems to me that I am paying Virgin Mobile for a service that they simply do not provide and failing to acknowledge.  My next move is to speak to Virgin once again and seeking to determine whether they have an alternative SIM card that may give me access to the much vaunted EE coverage.  In one location I must have had 6 or more networks listed but none of them was listed as EE.

Before I do contact Virgin Mobile I plan to drive to the highest point on the Lincolnshire Wolds (about 450 feet amsl).  That spot is spitting distance from what I believe are the cellular network masts and in sight.  The signal there should be on fire!  If I cannot latch on to the Virgin network from that spot then there must be some other factor which has yet to be revealed.

0 Kudos