Menu
DaveJFT
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

3G data unusable

Hi folks,

Is this a typical VM data experience...

I'm currently on an older £15/mth SIM-only "unlimited data" plan and I'm about to leave (I've already ordered a competitor's SIM to test out) because data is virtually unusable for me. Web pages and general app usage seem OK - the first MB or so comes down as quick as you like but then everything just stops, or at best it slows to an absolute crawl (few kB a minute). It's pointless trying to download/update apps or stream music when I'm at work or watch Youtube. The stupid thing is that speedtests work fine and and I get reliable and consistant 7.5MB/s or so - so it shouts to me that there's a throttling thing going on.

The stupid thing is I'm not a heavy user. When I was on EE previously (and I didn't have a problem with speed at all - just cost) I probably only got through 3-4GB in a month maximum and what I describe above is every day no matter what day of the month it is - it's the same the day after my allowances have been renewed or the day before my allowances are renewed or any day in between - so it's not like a fair usage cap is being applied once I've got through a couple of GB.

Also, Virgin, I'm the lead account holder for all my family's phones so if/when I do go I'll be taking 2 other accounts with me.

Many thanks,

Dave

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: 3G data unusable

Hi Davejft,

Thanks for posting Smiley Happy

I'm really sorry you're having issues with data speeds. I'd like to clear up a few things on our side with this.

With regards to the fair usage policy, this is removed at the beginning of a calendar month and not when the allowances refreshes.

You would need to exceed 3.5GB for this to be put in place.

Let me know if you have any other queries.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
DaveJFT
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Matt,

Thanks for your reply but I want to know why my data speed is unusable and obviously zealously shaped depending on the type of data being requested, especially when I am nowhere near the 3.5GB FUP limit and whether Virgin Mobile has any intention to rectify this situation before loosing my entire family's mobile accounts to a competitor?

In my original email I do state that it obviously has nothing to do with any FUP cap so I didn't need that clarifying. Even if I did hit the 3.5GB ceiling, 3G data speeds would still allow services such as app downloads/updates and audio streaming to work but they don't work for me on your network any day of the month. 

I'll also add that Virgin Mobile was not this way when I joined a year and a half ago. Though never as good as EE, who I originally came from (via Giffgaff), up until some months ago I don't remember having too many problems streaming music or downloading apps (even once updating a 400MB TomTom map file on the go - I was actually surprised how quickly it came down!) via Virgin Mobile data.

Right now, the only things that I find usable on your network are calling, SMS messaging (I don't do much of either of those so they are not any reason to stay) and very light duty browsing which doesn't fit my needs and is not what I pay for Unlimited data for.

Regards

Dave

0 Kudos
DaveJFT
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Matt,

Following my discovery of a thread complaining about Virgin Mobile data speeds to Google services (to which I've also replied) I've come to realize that it is actually only Google services that I'm experiencing the data speed problem with. I don't get to stream video while at work or driving and typically the rest of the time I'm on WiFi so hadn't noticed that video streaming from other providers was working fine on VM. I only stream music from Play Music and download apps from Play Store and both of those I do (or my phone does automatically) while at work or driving.

It is definitely some sort of active throttling of Google services somewhere (and I'll be reporting it to them) as I've just proven that using a VPN fixes the problem.

I do not care whether this is an EE problem or a VM problem, my contract is with VM so as far as I'm concerned it is for Virgin Mobile to get it fixed.

Regards

Dave

0 Kudos