Menu
james2k2
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

3G Data Speed Atrocious

I've recently moved house, and until Virgin sort out my services I'm using my mobile for internet. I upgraded to the top VIP package earlier on in the year because I stream a lot of media content on my mobile and up until now it's not really been as issue only using up to 3GB a month previously, with the increased usage this month I've used a fair bit more (5.6GB to now), and have noticed that I seem to have been capped. My speeds are so terrible that I can't even stream a 360p Youtube video any more. I can do basic browsing and that's about it. Now somebody else, also on your network, in the same location gets a very healthy 7Mbit download speed, so why is mine only 0.3Mbit!!! I was told by one of your advisor's that there are no caps, then I was told by a different one that there are. I cannot find this information anywhere on your website. I want it in plain black and white what the conditions are. There's no point me having an Unlimited data package if it's not suitable beyond so much.

Thanks.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: 3G Data Speed Atrocious

I can't find it wrote in wrote in black and white anywhere - or noted anywhere online now.

But I'm sure all monthly sims/contracts have a fair usage policy of 3.5GB - after that your data speed is reduced drastically, this also runs on a calender month basis and not in line with your refresh dates :-(

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.

All Replies
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I can't find it wrote in wrote in black and white anywhere - or noted anywhere online now.

But I'm sure all monthly sims/contracts have a fair usage policy of 3.5GB - after that your data speed is reduced drastically, this also runs on a calender month basis and not in line with your refresh dates :-(

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
Lee_B
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi

this is the link to the terms and conditions page that you are looking for.

http://store.virginmedia.com/the-legal-stuff/our-service.html#11

Section : Virgin Media Mobile Acceptable Use Policy Pay Monthly

For customers who joined Virgin Media after 25 June 2012 excessive use over 3.5GB of data per calendar month will result in their maximum bandwidth being restricted to 3G speeds (384kbit/s downstream, 200kbit/s upstream) on our network. 

Have I answered your question today? Mark the question as resolved if so!

Mark as helpful answer if this has helped you to show other members the resolution

Virgin Mobile Staff , However, All opinions are my own

0 Kudos
james2k2
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the information both. I can accept the fair use policy, but the speed reduction is just far too much. The following statement on that policy states "At this reduced speed, customers will still be able to browse web pages, send/receive emails, and stream audio and video all at 3G data speeds". Alas, this doesn't seem to be true for me. I realise that I should have read the small print sooner, but  having read the other elements of the fair use, it's quite poor. How Virgin can call something unlimited when say texts are limited to 3000 (not that I send that many). I'll probably be looking at leaving then when I can. I'm not sure the cheaper price justifies the quality of service:

1) We seem to get the lowest priority on data - i.e. in a busy location my EE friends are fine, and yet I'll be sat there with nothing - Rubbish
2) "Unlimited Everything" actually means "You're limited, but we'll only tell you in the small print"
3) No 4G!!! Come on, this is getting silly now. We'll sell you the latest 4G phone... but you can't have 4G.
4) Despite having roaming enabled, I've NEVER been able to make a phone call outside the UK.

I have raised issues 1 and 4 previously, and I seemed to just get a shrug of the shoulder. My issues were never properly addressed. Disgraceful to be honest. I love the Virgin Media services for home, and would always recommend them, but the mobile service after using it is simply poor at best. In fact, if my issues above are not addressed, I will be looking at cancelling the contract on the basis that the service isn't suitable for purpose.

0 Kudos
james2k2
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Wow, makes me feel good about mine. Like I said though, I am more than happy that there is a fair use policy, there often is on these unlimited services. But to then restrict it to the point where as you've also found out, it is unusable for much except viewing websites (and even then half the time they don't load properly). We pay for Amazon Prime Video, and guess what... it doesn't work. Great.
0 Kudos