Menu
Topyarder
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

2 SIM cards

I've a SIM-only contract.  I just bought a new smartphone which needs a micro SIM.  Why can't I keep using my old phone with the old SIM and also use my new phone with the new micro SIM you are going to send me for 99p, please?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: 2 SIM cards

You can. You'll just have two accounts to run. Always provided you don't want or haven't asked VM to let you have just one phone number. The GSM system does not allow two phones with the same number on different SIMs.

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Topyarder
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Quick reply thanks but - Why is it not possible to have two phones with the same number on different SIMs? Technical issues I presume. Pity.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

It's how the GSM system was set up - or (think about it) there would be chaos. Imagine having more than one landline with the same number.

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
Topyarder
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, don't want to drag this correspondence out but I really can't see the problem if the phones are registered to one bill payer. Landlines to a person with two homes in the same dialling code area ditto. I bet it happens one day!
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

It already has

Its just not supported by mobile providers because they dont want to.

Google voice lets you add whatever line (mobile, VOIP,fixed etc) to one number.

But that's an added layer to your telecoms providers network (read- added cost) 

As Howard has correctly pointed out, adding more than one handset at a SIM level is not supported by the GSM spec.

Topyarder
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks for your time, that is useful to know. And thank you too Howard. Now I'm wondering whether one might tether or 'slave' one mobile to another via Bluetooth.
0 Kudos