Menu
Nellyandsarah1
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

£1 per day to not use Mobile Data?

Last month I signed up to a £5 per month SIM only deal.
The first payment went through fine.
Yesterday I checked online and I have £27 of charges above my tariff.

I haven't used any data, made virtually no calls and only a few texts.

When I phoned the helpline I was told I was being charged £1 per day "because the phone was capable of receiving Mobile Data", even if it wasn't.
I was told I should only turn 'on' the Mobile Data on the phone (Motorola Moto G) when I want to access it, then turn it straight off again or I would get this charge.
This can't be right can it?
From reading the Virgin Ts & Cs the only £1/day charge is if I've gone over my monthly Data allowance, but I haven't used ANY data!
Can anyone shed some light on this please?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: £1 per day to not use Mobile Data?

will start i think - well i pretty well know - something on your phone [an app or two] is accessing the internet [data] on a daily basis  - thats happened on 27 days as the charge is £1 a day - if your data level is very low then that would happen - so you need to find out what is doing that and turn it off or increase your data limit

dont know the phone but turning the data off on some phones will not resolve it - happened to me on an old blackberry - was where you are and got same advice - turned data off and still got charged - if you dont need data the 100% answer is for them to turn it off at their end - no data access no chance of a charge

you are not the first this has happened to - ring them again - follow the i want to leave or whatever it is on mobile - they do much more than that and go through it again - theres threads where people have done that and the charge has been reduced or waived

Tony
0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

If the charges were for using mobile data, you must have just past your refresh date - your pic shows 249 meg allowance left.

All smartphone's will use a bit of data regularly, even while connected to WiFi, turning mobile data off is the only way to stop the use of mobile data.  To turn it off on a Moto G, drag two fingers down from top of screen, you will see the word "Virgin" with a little triangle above it, press on that and then press "more options", then press the first option " turn mobile data off".

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
jhuk
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Disabling Data or even lesser Background Data makes many Apps not work correctly, you need to ration better or get bigger package.

Make sure if you use WIFI when home that all settings in the phone and Apps are set to use this and not use Data.

250MB even 1GB is pitiful if you are like some mobile zombies who walk about the street glued to their phones.

0 Kudos
Nellyandsarah1
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the replies

If I have been over my data limit for 27 days, that would take me to the 8th of June, which would be the day after I received the SIM! (and I paid my first bill (£5) on the 17th.

There are no apps using excessive data (and I have now turned the mobile data off), so it will be interesting to see if this mystery charge keeps adding up (and what they class it as when my online bill is updated on the 8th of this month... 

0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

If you want the data on to be able to receive MMS's or view webpages and facebook ect while out, give a shout and we can walk you through setting the phone up to save data usage.  You can also set the phone up so data will turn off automatically when you get near your monthly allowance.

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos