Menu
Joining in
Message 71 of 111 (641 Views)

Re: 0800 183 6408

Got a phonecall from this number today (July 2017) and it sounded dodgy. Like many here, I googled the number and saw it was officially a VirginMedia number, but something still didn't feel right. I hung up and called them direct.

The lovely customer service man looked at my record and confirmed that NO ONE at the company had checked my details - which any call centre would need to do if they had in fact been officially sanctioned. So it was definitely a scam.

It is possible for scammers to make it look like they are calling from a different number, which is what I think is happening here. I asked the VirginMedia guy to take this concern up, hopefully they can look into it further.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 72 of 111 (634 Views)

If it's the offshore call centre, I wouldn't always put stock in what they say.

@ModTeam - Can you ask one of the Forum Team to double check @tierneae's account?

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

Forum Team
Message 73 of 111 (597 Views)

Hi ShadoWolf13, @lucy_parsons,@readersdigest,@Oz1,@ramduck,@tierneae,

Thanks for your posts on the Forum. I'm sorry to hear that you are getting unwanted sales calls from us on 0800 183 6408. 

We can arrange to have your marketing preferences changed if you prefer to not receive sales calls from us. This will remove you from our database for sales calls and also unwanted addressed mail.

Please be aware that you may receive letters for up to a further six weeks due to the way we process our data for the next month’s mailings. If you have both a Virgin Media and Virgin Mobile account, your preferences will need to be changed on both accounts.

If you would like for me to do this for you, please provide the following details:

• Full name
  • Mobile number

To PM me, simply:

• Click on my forum name on the left of this post.
  • Go to my profile.
  • On the right had side, select the 'send me a message' option.

Alternatively, please give us a call on 789 (Freephone from a Virgin Mobile), 150 (Freephone from a Virgin Mobile or Virgin Media landline) or 0345 6000 789 (from any other phone).

Kind Regards,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
Oz1
Joining in
Message 74 of 111 (593 Views)

Thanks for your kind offer but it won't be necessary. I've already blocked the spam sales calls through the capabilities on my phone and as I get my statements by email any snail mail goes unopened into the bin.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 75 of 111 (590 Views)

@Terri_P - Can you confirm whether @tierneae received a genuine sales call from yourselves on July 7th or was it a scam call as claimed by phone support?

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Message 76 of 111 (581 Views)

I can Tim, but @tierneae will need to PM me with the requested details so I can check on the account.

Thanks,

Terri

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 77 of 111 (524 Views)

I have been getting fairly persistent calls from 0800 183 6408, which I have ignored and allowed to go to voicemail. Today I happened to answer and there was a foreign sounding woman on the other end of the line. She kept calling me "Miss [pet form of my first name]", as if she were confused about what was my first name and what was my surname, and kept abbreviating my first name to a pet form which I found rude and over-familiar.

She then launched into a sales spiel about getting so many hours of free calls and texts for £3, but wanted some personal details, starting with my post code. I was already suspicious because of the foreign voice and the mangling of my name, but there was no way I was giving out personal details over the phone. She said that she already had the information in front of her, but she needed to confirm my ID. I was by now very suspicious as I have PAYG but no contract.

I said that if she really was calling from Virgin, then she would have details on file of how I prefer to be contacted, that I do not give out personal information over the phone, and that I was going to be ending the call, which I did.

I landed here after much searching online because it seemed to be the only way to write to Virgin and report these calls.

Joining in
Message 78 of 111 (514 Views)

I have been a virgin customer for few years. I have been largely satisfied until recently price rises and now from the looks of it a sales team that puts the chuckle brothers to shame. Virgin please take note: cold calling people asking for personal info in this day and age is very hard trick to pull off.. and you are not even close to achieving that.. I have rang 150 to complain and got myself removed from being contacted like this again. I am so annoyed that I am actively looking at taking my business elsewhere and encourage any other customers to do the same if they keep getting hassled
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 79 of 111 (512 Views)

hi just had the same experience.. ring 150 get yourself removed from being called.. but takes upto 28 days to sort out fully. I work in IT and this approach to sales is amatuerish and also dangerous.. encouraging customers to give out in our like that is asking for trouble.. looking at leaving now after this.. good luck mste
0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 80 of 111 (489 Views)

Hi, I don't think a single person objects to the security, and no doubt welcomes it, I certainly do, without it the person gets squat, but just like the Op, if I get a call from anyone\thing, they won't get a single thing from me, and I've lost count how many times I have given feedback over this issue, and that is to Every place that does the same thing, it's so simple it fits right in with the KISS principle. You (the company) needs to be sure they are talking to the correct person, perfect, no problem, But, we (the customers) need exactly the same thing, for exactly the same reasons, how do we know who someone is ringing us, is truly who they claim to be ? The solution, when people sign up, ask them for a memorable word\phrase (online so is unknown to others, e.g. other call centre staff etc), and to put it in the same format you use, e.g. 1st and 5th etc, so we can clear you through our security, after which you can clear us through yours, there is going to be a high probability of people having trouble with this due to how new an idea it is, and how often we would be in that situation, so many may forget, so maybe have a 2nd backup of a single word. Obviously this will need thrashing about to figure out what the simplest and safest way it could be used, but it's the perfect solution for this, and should be implemented by every company that may be likely to have to contact you and require personal details\confirmation themselves, just a thought, and if you do go with it, it would be nice to be remembered. Smiley Happy
0 Kudos