Menu
Marrea
On our wavelength
Message 21 of 123
Flag for a moderator

Re: 0800 183 6408

I have had three calls from this number so far, two yesterday and one this afternoon.  I have caller display and never pick up the phone if it is a number I don't recognise.  No doubt I am going to be plagued with these calls now but they can ring as much as they want.  They will never get to speak to me!  When will companies realise that if a customer wants an upgrade or whatever, the customer will get in touch with them - not the other way round.

cybmole
Community elder
Message 22 of 123
Flag for a moderator

Terri_P wrote:

Hi Tim,

Apologies that I didn't clarify that information. Yes,  0800 183 6408 is a Virgin Media number.

When Sales call a customer, three things are required in order to process the offer:

• Account security (memorable word requested)
  • Account holder (verify the account holder's name because they have to speak to the account holder and security words can be given by people other than the account holder)
  • Address on the account (some customers may have multiple accounts at different addresses, so this is also verified on the call)

Thanks,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

could we be allowed 3 things also

e.g.

1. that they be polite and truthful

2. that they can properly speak and understand English

3.that they understand that go away I am not interested does NOT mean call again an hour later in case we have changed our mind.

and training should make it clear that the onus is on them to prove they are who they claim to be, before expecting any password etc info to be given to a cold calling stranger

Superuser
Superuser
Message 23 of 123
Flag for a moderator

And how exactly would you ask them to prove it?

I make outbound calls in a non-sales capacity. To ensure we are speaking to the correct people we have to confirm specific information before we are able to proceed.

I have had people respond to such questions by saying - "Well you tell me what you've got and I'll tell you if it's correct?"

Should I go ahead and tell them then?  After all, it will prove I'm genuine.

I already know the answer to the above question, and it's been reinforced by a post made on this very Forum today.

Tim

Edit - I should add the calls I make are nothing to do with Virgin Media.

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

cybmole
Community elder
Message 24 of 123
Flag for a moderator

ravenstar68 wrote:

And how exactly would you ask them to prove it

thats for them to solve - outbound cold calls are their idea, not mine

but the obvious ones: tell the called person their account number / balance/ contract details... then their dept name and employee number,  a freephone number ot call back on if suspicious ....( though that has known flaws used in other scams) ..

if they dont have those details to hand then they fail on " know your customer" and and sale could be a mis-sale . or is that only for banks etc ?

the best fhing they could fo with this program is bin it.

2nd best poud be to make it a deliberate opt in , with the default being opt out.

a proper script, thinking of call backs from other compaies is made by someone with good English skills and goes soemhing like

is that mr xxxxx,  

this is xxx from yyyy dept of zzzz  company is it convenient to talk to you at this time [ thats the 1st VM omission ]

then. I am calling you about your..... letter/ compliant  whatever [ context, context... ]

at some point there will be a POLITE  " to discuss this further I will have to take you through rsecurity, is that OK" [ compared with the immediate  order to give up your passwrd which is all that the VM guys can manage]

and so on, i expect there are well regarded training programmes you can send your stadff on, to learn to to do it properly. I suspect VM get their guys on commision via the Indian equivalent of Craigslist, no references, no experience needed , enlish is optional Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 25 of 123
Flag for a moderator

Hmm lets see

But the obvious ones: tell the called person their account number / balance/ contract details...

All of which is personal information, Would you really want to give that out to someone BEFORE verifying beyond doubt that you are speaking to the right person?

then their dept name and employee number,  a freephone number to call back on if suspicious ....( though that has known flaws used in other scams) ..

I'll tell you now - the really suspicious people won't even entertain the idea of taking a number from an inbound caller.  I know this from experience.  If people don't want to continue we always end the call and give a contact number for them to call if they have concerns.  The really annoying thing is that the people STILL probe for information about why we're calling.  I'd love to tell them but if I cannot verify beyond reasonable doubt that the person on the other end of the line is the person I am speaking to - I HAVE NO CHOICE, I cannot continue.  To do otherwise risks a breach of confidentiality.

And we can't just assume that just because we've called the number, the person we're speaking to is who we're supposed to be speaking to either.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
only9months
Tuning in
Message 26 of 123
Flag for a moderator

No conspiracy it's just par for the course. My connection is once again down to a 300-400 ms ping time. I'm thinking it will be quicker to walk my data packets to the server...
0 Kudos
only9months
Tuning in
Message 27 of 123
Flag for a moderator

So what is the answer, should we just give out details to whoever calls?

These people have called us, they can be fairly sure they have called the number of the account holder. Asking for an online password is just plain stupid.

Perhaps make the sales pitch, place the new options on the online account then require confirmation by account holder. That requires no details to be given out to the unknown sales caller but provides a good level of security and a positive acceptance of new 'upgrades'. It's not really rocket science but it seems to be beyond the wit of Virgin.

ravenstar68 wrote:

And how exactly would you ask them to prove it?

Tim

Edit - I should add the calls I make are nothing to do with Virgin Media.

only9months
Tuning in
Message 28 of 123
Flag for a moderator

'Hi, am I speaking to Mr Account Holder? This is Virgin Mobile, do you have a minute to talk about offers and upgrades?

Thanks.

Insert waffle about 'upgrades' and trying to sell stuff you didn't know you needed which does little to improve your service or value but results in paying more for services you are unlikely to use.

Ok, I will place this offer on your online account for you to check and confirm.

Thanks for your time.'

Customer goes to online account using password and either agrees or disgard the new offer.

At no point does anyone give out info about the account but the sale is made and the customer confirms it. I'm sure there are flaws...
Superuser
Superuser
Message 29 of 123
Flag for a moderator

only9months wrote:
'Hi, am I speaking to Mr Account Holder? This is Virgin Mobile, do you have a minute to talk about offers and upgrades?

Thanks.

Insert waffle about 'upgrades' and trying to sell stuff you didn't know you needed which does little to improve your service or value but results in paying more for services you are unlikely to use.

Ok, I will place this offer on your online account for you to check and confirm.

Thanks for your time.'

Customer goes to online account using password and either agrees or disgard the new offer.

At no point does anyone give out info about the account but the sale is made and the customer confirms it. I'm sure there are flaws...

But for "only nine months" you seem to have a decent handle on it.

Id go down the line of something similair-

You get a call, confirm some personal information-say name and address. They discuss the options. At no point do they need to refer to your current package, offshore dont need to know what your current package IS- just that there are upgrade options available and what they are.. If you agree, an upgrade is placed on your my virgin media account for activation. To confirm it you log in and "sign it off" electronically.

Whilst I understand that losses the immediacy of people saying yes in the moment, it would also get past the people who hang up when asked for their VM password. Win Win.

Oh yeah and once a quarter would be good. Not 3 times a day.

0 Kudos
Rathfelder
Joining in
Message 30 of 123
Flag for a moderator

I am not prepared to give out my details to called callers.  If Virgin want to talk to me they should employ people who speak English. If they have an offer why don't they email me?