Menu
ChristianJHJose
Joining in
Message 101 of 113
Flag for a moderator

Re: 0800 183 6408

Like other people here, I will point out that Virgin need to change their processes. It is quite obvious that any cold call that requests confidential information is a possible (indeed rather likely) phishing attempt. As such I absolutely refuse to provide such information unless I can verify the caller and Virgin refuse to verify their identity. I've even offered to call back on 150 to be told that it is not possible to reach the correct department via that route. Sorry Virgin it's basic security, verify the identity of the call inititiator before divulging any form of private, confidential or security data.
0 Kudos
sevcham
Joining in
Message 102 of 113
Flag for a moderator

I've been receiving numerous missed calls from this number the past week. I attempted to pick up yesterday, no reply. I picked up today and was offered something I didn't really understand because of the very fast speaking and thick accent. It was to do with my Virgin Media broadband. As soon as I realised he's trying up-sell me something I have no interest in, I said that price doesn't appeal to me as I'm already paying too much (price has crept up FOUR times since I signed up less than two years ago) – he hung up! 

What sort of customer service is this? I've had numerous drop outs on my internet connection and now I'm chased up to PAY MORE for this? Rotten company with no ethics. I'll be looking to leave as this is insane reading all of the other comments from customers. You treat customers like scum.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
theofficemanage
Joining in
Message 103 of 113
Flag for a moderator

Hi All

I have also just had a call from this number and it let me really rather cross - Firstly I could not understand the young lady and thought she was calling me re a complaint about the price hike - Turns out she was trying to upgrade me due to being a loyal customer etc etc etc - I have been trying to sort out the prices as I now pay around £44 a month for a phone line I never use and Broadband - I have had a couple of calls from other suppliers offering me a much lower price on phone/broadband package around £29 a month on a 12 month contract and am going to cancel my Virgin next week 

I am really fed up with all these offers which are available for new customers only - I have been a Virgin customer for over 15 years and have had nothing except when I called to cancel last year and they knocked a bit off each month which has now gone back up 

We have started changing our house insurance annually and our power supplier and we saved over £350 last year - I think its about time we all started voting with our feet and changed Broadband suppliers every year 

I am a driving instructor I can just imagine my Learners if I said sorry your lesson price is going up to £40 an hour - I KNOW you have been with me for a year and paid me lots and lots of money but the offers are for new Pupils only ---- I would be without customers ! 

0 Kudos
mcmav
Tuning in
Message 104 of 113
Flag for a moderator

Just got one of these calls too. Added to my blocked numbers list.

0 Kudos
VM2319
Settling in
Message 105 of 113
Flag for a moderator

If you want to sell me something, send an email. Number now blocked

0 Kudos
ggoodwin
Tuning in
Message 106 of 113
Flag for a moderator

What the hell is going on with Virgin mobile??????

I've just had a cold call from  0800 183 6408

It was a woman speaking poor broken English and calling herself  "Nancy".   She made some vague comment about wanting to offer me mobile phone discounts.

The time delay suggested she was in a foreign call centre, and she sounded Asian.    She definitely didn't sound like her name would be Nancy!   I told her I believed it was a scam call and that she wasn't from Virgin Mobile.   She offered  no defence or any proof she was from Virgin, she just repeated the same line about wanting to offer mobile phone discounts.     I was very suspicious of it being a scam and gave her no details.  She then hung up.

I then rang 789 to speak to Virgin about my concerns....I got connected to someone called "Clark" who also sounded like he was in a foreign call centre.   He at least was able to prove he did work for Virgin.  (I would have been suspicious of him too otherwise).  

"Clark" informed me that there were no notes on my account about a phone call being made to me, and that it was a scam.   I gave him the number 0800 183 6408 and he said that definitely wasn't a Virgin Mobile number, and it was a scam.   He offered to block that number for me, but I told him to leave it...I want to see if they call back.

Now I've come on the internet to check out the suspicious caller, and according to this forum 0800 183 6408 might actually be a Virgin number after all.    

What the hell is going on with Virgin Mobile?  They seem unbothered about their customers being scammed, and their own genuine staff seem absolutely clueless.

I think I need to find a new mobile provider who doesn't have such poor customer service and security issues.   Frightening!

0 Kudos
8210GUY
Tuning in
Message 107 of 113
Flag for a moderator

Well they are certainly trying to get the pre Xmas surge selling, at least it's what it feels like to me, I disputed my bills as I had realised that one of the phones (the wife's) was still being charged at the full rate, some 8 to 9 months past the 2 year contract, which ended in January 2017, I got sick and tired of dealing with idiots (sorry Virgin, but it's more true now than ever before in my experience), I even cancelled the direct debits to get them to take note, and get in touch to resolve this, but no, I just got text messages saying ring 789 etc, and when I did, I got all over the place.

One call started out great (got lucky with a UK call centre), bent over backwards to help, sorted all but 1 thing, then said she would have to put the call over to her manager, as she didn't have the power to do the last bit, so I was on hold, at 5 minutes got a blip on the line, 10 minutes a bigger blip, 20 minutes later I was talking to a call centre in the Philippines or similar (I can't be sure if they only use the one country these days), now this is supposed to be a manager, so had to go over most of it yet again, so she puts me up to her manager, which left me near suicidal.

I tried to explain (for maybe the 11th or so time) that I was sold the phone in a shop, and walked out the store with it in my hand, but he said I didn't, and their form shows it was delivered, but trying to push on through this I said the lady in the shop pointed at my receipt a section at a time, saying this was my phone payment, that is my tariff, and that the phone element would automatically stop after the 2 years was up, but no, he said it was delivered and could not be as I explained, again I said the lady went through everything at the shop, so he said I would have to go back to the shop, and get the lady and the manager to sort this out, which I said I can't as the shop closed a long time back.

So we got on the roundabout and then it got worse, so he wanted to know what I expected, I said the 6 or so months over payment refunded (this was the early on attempts to sort this), he said I couldn't as I had it delivered, so he then wanted to put me through to retentions, saying I wanted to leave (I was dam close I can tell you), I said no I wanted this sorted out, so back on the roundabout, and yet again I told him about the shop, and that I even had the till receipt and marked up each part that was shown to me, to which he said I need to go back to the shop etc, yep he went full circle, I explained for the god knows how many times, that the shop was closed, it has been closed for a long time, and he said ?

Yep, I have to go to the shop and get the lady and the manager to sort it out, at which time I asked did he want me to travel back in time, because it's the only way I could do it, so I rang off saying I'll try again another day, before I entered into meltdown mode.

I swear that the foreign call centres have a 3 page manual, page 1, go through the motions, page 2 ask questions to make them sound like they have an idea of what they are doing, page 3, when all else fails, revert back to page 1.

Don't get me wrong, there are some that are great, and very helpful, but you have to go through god knows how many people you have to go through before you get lucky enough to get them, I don't care if I am dealing with a 3 legged purple blob with pink spots all over them, I just ask that they can do the job, I know the language barrier is a massive part in this, and if I could speak their language I would be a very happy chappy, so my hat's off to them there, and I do bare with them to become with knowing this, but when it reaches a level that is obviously beyond them, they should transfer you to someone with a greater understanding, that's all I ask.

0 Kudos
Sokool73
Joining in
Message 108 of 113
Flag for a moderator

Just had a call from this number claiming to be from virginmedia asking me did I want to add sky sports to my package I said no thanks at least 3times. Was just wondering which bit of no thanks did they struggle with ?
0 Kudos
lisabeeny
Joining in
Message 109 of 113
Flag for a moderator

Got a call from this number yesterday afternoon - on my mobile strangely (I'm not on Virgin mobile, but my landline is...).  A chap with a heavy accent stating that because I'm a loyal customer they would like to offer me free installation of the new TiVo box.  They just wanted a one off subscription payment of £20.

I explained that I was likely to be moving house very soon so couldn't commit to a new contract at all; that I also had no idea if the new address has Virgin access.  He didn't take this on board, detailing the offer once more and stating it was only for today.  After repeating my reason for turning the offer down he then proceeded with "But don't you want to enrich your family's lives with this fantastic offer?"  

I said goodbye and hung up.  

If this was a legitimate Virgin call then you really need to work on the skills of your sales team!  To add, the same number called me back at 9pm that same evening.  

0 Kudos
colin_harris99
Joining in
Message 110 of 113
Flag for a moderator

I think you need to review this approach. How on earth can we 'know' that is a Virgin Media number - anyways scammers can spoof such things.

So if I rang you and said I was from your bank, please give me your online login details and address you would oblige ??

My rule is if you ring me you know who I am and I am not giving you security info designed to verify me if I call you. Isn't that the point ?

BTW I cannot believe Richard Branson thinks this is a sensible approach to calling customers. I bet scammers are calling people pretending to be Virgin as I type.

0 Kudos