Menu
conman
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 127
Flag for a moderator

0800 183 6408

I had a call from this number 0800  183 6408.  A non English person said  he was from Virgin and wanted to upgrade my phone. Then he asked for my password , address and postcode. I said sorry ,,,you rang me ,,,,,,I don't give that information out to people who ring me,, you should know it. , He then said have a good day and put the phone down.

Anyone else had this

Helpful Answers
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 127
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: 0800 183 6408

Hi Tim,

Apologies that I didn't clarify that information. Yes,  0800 183 6408 is a Virgin Media number.

When Sales call a customer, three things are required in order to process the offer:

• Account security (memorable word requested)
  • Account holder (verify the account holder's name because they have to speak to the account holder and security words can be given by people other than the account holder)
  • Address on the account (some customers may have multiple accounts at different addresses, so this is also verified on the call)

Thanks,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

All Replies
Dandelions_
Just joined
Message 2 of 127
Flag for a moderator

Just had exact same but female. I said I had read there's some scam callers requesting info, pretending to be virgin media and that my son would call virgin after the weekend. She said she didn't understand and hung up. 

geriann
Superfast
Message 3 of 127
Flag for a moderator

I had a call from that number tonight. They wanted to "optimise my broadband".
I wasn't sure if it was genuinely Virgin or not, so I hung up. :/
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 127
Flag for a moderator

I'm going to ask the @ModTeam to confirm this but here are my thoughts.

1. The number does appear to be a genuine Virgin Media number.
  2. The password they are asking for is the phone password, rather than the password you use to sign in.   This is the same one you give when you ring them.  This is to verify your identity, however To the best of my knowledge, once they've verified this with you, they should be satisfied they are speaking with the right person.  @ModTeam can you also check why they are also asking for name and address?
  3. Normally I would say ring 150 and ask them to check to see if the account shows any markers showing you've been called by them as even a failed sales call should be visible on the account.
  4. Note as well you could "accidentally" give out the wrong phone password to the inbound caller,  if they are genuine they will spot that it is incorrect.

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

Docjko
Tuning in
Message 5 of 127
Flag for a moderator

Same here and 'Ivan' is very persistent. And not terribly good either. Wouldn't elaborate about 'optimising'. Hung up but after stupidly confirming address.
If this is genuine, Virgin need to make it reassuring enough for the customer not to worry they're being scammed.
Docjko
Tuning in
Message 6 of 127
Flag for a moderator

Also which is worrying, he knew which package I was on. If this is phishing they've either got into Virgins systems or he was making it up and it sounded right to me.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 127
Flag for a moderator

Hi All,

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear you are getting unwanted sales calls from us on 0800 183 6408.
We can arrange to have your marketing preferences changed if you prefer to not receive sales calls from us. This will remove you from our database for sales calls and also unwanted addressed mail.

Please be aware that you may receive letters for up to a further six weeks due to the way we process our data for the next month’s mailings. If you have both a Virgin Media and Virgin Mobile account, your preferences will need to be changed on both accounts.

If you would like for us to do this, we need for you to contact us in order to verify account security.
For Virgin Mobile accounts: please give us a call on 789 (Freephone from a Virgin Mobile), 150 (Freephone from a Virgin Mobile or Virgin Media landline) or 0345 6000 789 (from any other phone).

For Virgin Media accounts: please give us a call on 150 (Free from a Virgin Media landline & Virgin Media mobile) or 0345 454 1111 (from any other phone).

Kind Regards,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 127
Flag for a moderator

@Terri_P

I think the main thing they wanted to know is - Is the number a Virgin Media number?

I take it then that the answer is yes it was your sales team.  Is that correct?

Can you please explain why they need to verify name and address once the customer has verified the account password?

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 127
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Tim,

Apologies that I didn't clarify that information. Yes,  0800 183 6408 is a Virgin Media number.

When Sales call a customer, three things are required in order to process the offer:

• Account security (memorable word requested)
  • Account holder (verify the account holder's name because they have to speak to the account holder and security words can be given by people other than the account holder)
  • Address on the account (some customers may have multiple accounts at different addresses, so this is also verified on the call)

Thanks,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

only9months
Tuning in
Message 10 of 127
Flag for a moderator

I have also just received a call from them

As it has now been confirmed that this is Virgin I can only say it is another example of the inept service.

The guy's accent was very heavy and almost indecipherable, when I finally understood what he was asking for I told him that if he was really from Virgin to contact me the usual way by email..

Which sensible person gives out their account password to some unkown person over the telephone, that is incredibly bad security. Worse, what sort of company cold calls and actually asks for those details?

Still, only another 9 months and I can leave Virgin with it's fortnightly outgages and almost daily bottlenecks. I was foolish enough to go for the cheapest offer, even I'm not daft enough to give out account details to unknown spam callers.

eta: I am also pretty certain I opted only for sales contact by email, I never deliberately opt for nuisance calls.