Menu
cybmole
Community elder
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

will we ever get a sign into bbc account option in i player app

I can sign in on PCs, tablets, [ and thus access favourites, resume watching... ]but Tivo has no such option. will that ever be added ?

the youtube app has a sign-in option, but not the BBC app

I am guessing its not on V6 either, as that uses same software ?

0 Kudos
Parrotperson
Super solver
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: will we ever get a sign into bbc account option in i player app

You'd need to ask the BBC.  It's their app. Therefore their rules. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

It's up to the BBC.

Currently you can't sign in to iPlayer across any Connected TV device as they've not added the function yet.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

what do you mean by "connected TV device". I can sign in via both my android tablets and all my PCs

also, an update will be needed soon to ask the "do you have a tv licence" question, that tablet now ask on 1st use

there's no sign-in on my ROku BBC app either, & that looks to be an older version with the HD / SD option - the newer BBC app versions ask if you want " best quality" not HD, & use adaptive streaming., and some also have the download now, watch later feature

I did look at BBC FAQ etc but there's nothing relevant on their site - tried searching for log in, login,log-in,  sign-in... variations

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Connected TV device means Smart TVs, TiVo / V6 etc.

It's the BBC's classification (or at least was) for the iPlayer that's on devices that are TVs or Connect to them.

The BBC write and own the iPlayer app that is on TiVo and V6, so any new features, such as the sign in option or the 'I've got a TV licence' question are added by them.
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

ok - am I right in thinking that new licensing law obliges them to ask do you have a TV licence ?,so they will need  to roll out updates that only allow folks who say " yes" to use the app

if they have to do that, maybe we will also get the sign in option;  its likely that sign-up + sign in ( which allows better ID checks,) will eventually become mandatory

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I'm pretty sure I've seen the 'I've got a TV licence' thing pop up on iPlayer already.

I've also got iPlayer on my Samsung TV so keep forgetting which one I'm using!
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I went on a sign in blitz for both you tube and I-player  ( & plex) on every device we have, in an attempt to get them all synced.

[ this was prompted by the the voice-driven you tube interface on the Nvidia shield TV -  I find you tube is not so bad once you take the time to set up some channels and subscriptions that you actually like. when 

when you tube first launched the video quality was so awful I could not watch it, but nowaday there's lots of full HD, & I guess 4K is not that far away.... if I could only stop it promoting hip hop in Dubai twice per day if would  be an excellent background channel] 

I was able to link you tube to a google account of my choice on everything, but with i player I could not sign-in on any of Samsung TV, Roku , Tivo.. I have sold my Fire TV boxes so cannot test those. I have plex

I have plex working across all capable devices, and I have the Shield Plex server working from an external USB Drive , as well as my PC based one. The external drive on the Shield sleeps Ok. Plex wakes it daily for housekeeping but most o fhe time it is silent and the activity light is off. and with a lot of googling I got it so that I can add / delete files on the Shield server from a PC, without unplugging that USB drive

A shame, as BBC claim that if signed in you can quit watching on one device and pick up where you left off on another, like with Netflix.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

You can - on mobile devices and the website.

As you say, you can't sign in on TV so that's not currently possible:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/Fav_tvs

Adding programmes to your Favourites list on TVs and Connected Devices

Hit the “+” button in the app while playing a programme to add it. You can find programmes you’ve added in the Home section. At the moment your Favourites list will show only the latest 10 programmes you’ve added. And it’s not possible to sign in to the BBC on iPlayer for TVs.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/how-to-guides/getting-started/add_apps

How to Add to My Programmes (Mobile & Tablet app)

You can now add programmes to enjoy later. Whatever you add will be available on your other devices too. Just sign in or register in settings and your programmes will be added to your BBC account, so you can access them on other devices.

cybmole
Community elder
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

there is also a separate i player for KIDS android app now. it would be good to see that make its way onto tivo / V6 as its solves some of the (lack of good)  parental control issues with the main app

it needs android 5 I think. the 2012 kindle fire we bought for granddaughter, will not run it, but my newer tablets will. Dunno if there's an apple version

0 Kudos