Menu
martinbaker
On our wavelength
Message 81 of 118
Flag for a moderator

Re: why is TIVO box deleting programs on-mass

Hi stevemth3

That's a really useful post but can't seem to find any way to do it. My colour for options is green not yellow and going into that there doesn't seem to be any way to ask for shows 'about to be deleted'. Can you help?

0 Kudos
Shugg
Up to speed
Message 82 of 118
Flag for a moderator

Agreed a useful post.

There's an option for Going Away Soon, which I presume is some wags way of saying Being Deleted Soon.  I set it like that and the option doesn't show, so that presumably means there is no content.  Would be interesting to hear from someone who has something show in it.

0 Kudos
Stevesmith3
Tuning in
Message 83 of 118
Flag for a moderator

Sorry, yes that's what it's called - Going Away Soon. Didn't appear on ours until there was anything in it but now it has appeared on the left and we have 2 shows in there. Will make life easier, just need to keep checking for the day that it dumps everything in there - although I'm not convinced when it 'panics' and suddenly deletes 20% it will give much warning! We'll see!

0 Kudos
mbonnick
Rising star
Message 84 of 118
Flag for a moderator

No I think you'll find when it has a moment it won't be curteous enough to let you know, it will just delete it. I think that is more for when your hd is getting full and it shows what it will delete automatically if you don't delete anything. This is different to it just randomly deleting a load of stuff when it doesn't need the room
0 Kudos
maljackson
On our wavelength
Message 85 of 118
Flag for a moderator

And it's happened to me again! This is the third time. It dropped from 70% to 60%. Mal.
Shugg
Up to speed
Message 86 of 118
Flag for a moderator

Hmm, does anyone anywhere have an idea what is actually happening?  As far as I can see, this is it:-

• Shows are deleted randomly without warning.
  • Shows are sometimes shown as Going Soon (or whatever), question is, Are these shows then deleted if you leave them alone?
  • There is no set %'age used space that triggers these deletions.
  • This then leads onto the Planned Recordings - what value does this need to have before it starts deleting/panicking?
  • Is there a bug that deletes My Shows instead of deleting Can Be Recovered Shows.

It has not actually happened to me yet and my box runs at around 45% used.  As a precaution I delete Can Be Recovered, may well be pointless.

Virgin need to address this by at least admitting there's a problem.

thanks4nothing
Fibre optic
Message 87 of 118
Flag for a moderator

Shugg wrote:

Hmm, does anyone anywhere have an idea what is actually happening?  As far as I can see, this is it:-

• Shows are deleted randomly without warning.
  • Shows are sometimes shown as Going Soon (or whatever), question is, Are these shows then deleted if you leave them alone?
  • There is no set %'age used space that triggers these deletions.
  • This then leads onto the Planned Recordings - what value does this need to have before it starts deleting/panicking?
  • Is there a bug that deletes My Shows instead of deleting Can Be Recovered Shows.

It has not actually happened to me yet and my box runs at around 45% used.  As a precaution I delete Can Be Recovered, may well be pointless.

Virgin need to address this by at least admitting there's a problem.

I think we can safely assume that they do not intend to address it.

This user has left the community.
mackemsteve
Tuning in
Message 88 of 118
Flag for a moderator

Just joining this conversation because last night my Tivi deleted a shed load of stuff unnecessarily. It was only at 50odd % now it's at 38% but it's deleted the first 2 episodes of Grantchester, leaving me with the following 3, when I'd watched none of them. Deleted a load of other unwatched stuff too. And when it deletes things, why can't it stuff them into "recently deleted" so that you can get them back? There was plenty of room to do so.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 89 of 118
Flag for a moderator

The point of TiVo deleting programs is to recover disk space for future recordings.

Recordings in Deleted Recordings use space and hence must be completely deleted.

0 Kudos
mbonnick
Rising star
Message 90 of 118
Flag for a moderator

It should never make space for future recordings, only space it needs for recordings now. That is faulty logic. You should be able to leave your hard drive 99% full and assuming there is nothing set to record for four days then it should delete nothing until day 4 when it records the new program, and then should make space for that program only. Any other actions it takes are illogical.