Menu
On our wavelength
Message 71 of 118 (897 Views)

Re: why is TIVO box deleting programs on-mass

[ Edited ]

thanks4nothing wrote:

Check out the last post in the following link:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Media-TiVo-service/Tivo-deleted-lots-of-stuff-and-I-cant-...

Person claims to work in VM faults and has posted in several threads saying it is USER ERROR and that Tivo deletes recordings today to make room for the next two weeks worth of recordings. No wonder faults never get fixed.

Wow . .the Tivo is real clever to be able to decide how much space I'll need in the next two weeks.

Shame it doesn't know what new series links I might add, old ones I might cancel, movies I may decide to record, series I may decide to watch and delete.

Shame its not so clever as to warn me before it needlessly deletes several movies since I'm going to be watching them over the next few days. Let alone the TV series set to never delete. Thanks for that.

On our wavelength
Message 72 of 118 (861 Views)

**bleep**!  I sit down to catch up with War and Peace, which I know was all there last night, and its gone! Why would it delete that???  I was on just over 40%. I know that because it had already deleted a ton of stuff already. Really clever.

On our wavelength
Message 73 of 118 (859 Views)

Doesn't it hack you off that Virgin are denying all knowledge of this - they are treating their customers with contempt - other than this it's not a bad system but this destroys any confidence customers can have in the product. Virgin - where are you - let's hear from you and acknowledge there is a problem.

Fibre optic
Message 74 of 118 (850 Views)

martinbaker wrote:

Doesn't it hack you off that Virgin are denying all knowledge of this - they are treating their customers with contempt - other than this it's not a bad system but this destroys any confidence customers can have in the product. Virgin - where are you - let's hear from you and acknowledge there is a problem.

This and the same experience with other faults including Dolby Digital will sadly destroy the reputation of the entire Virgin brand forever, as far as I am concerned.

This user has left the community.
Tuning in
Message 75 of 118 (816 Views)

New to the forum but sadly not to the issue being discussed! Mass delete from 63% to 42% just happened and this is about the 4th time over the last couple of years. Using a mixture of KUID and space needed. Just called 150 and they escalated to the senior technical team who are calling me back within 72h.

Can't fathom why the system is set up in this way, even if it looks 2 weeks ahead surely not that hard to surface an issue and ask me to free up space rather than deleting at random. Have followed advice on here such as restarting and turning off suggestions but from past the experience seems that 21% will be lost forever.

Virgin compensated me with a free month the first time but I'm reaching the end of my tether and really needing some assurance that they recognise and are fixing the issue... this thread doesn't fill me with confidence but will post an update if I get a response with anything new on the above.
0 Kudos
Dialled in
Message 76 of 118 (813 Views)

It doesn't help matters that you can't set Recording default to KUID, you need to remember to change every Planned one.  This is like having your PC memory becoming quite full and it deletes a random selection of your photos, docs, whatever.

Virgin need to get their finger out and own up.

Knows their stuff
Message 77 of 118 (776 Views)

I've just read in another thread of someone who has a 1Tb box and this happened to them. Now personally and through discussion this had always seemed to be 500Gb systems it affected so I guess the next thing is was it a Samsung or Cisco?
Dialled in
Message 78 of 118 (767 Views)

Mine is 1TB, but, having said that, it has never auto-deleted recordings.  Usually runs at 45%.

I'm wondering if the bug in this relates to "Can be Recovered" recordings, which are supposed to be deleted if space is needed.  Is it possible that the box is deleting unwatched recordings instead.  It would be interesting to find out from someone this has affected if all of the previous "Can be Recovered" recordings were still there after this unwanted deletion event, or if they had all gone as well.

0 Kudos
Rising star
Message 79 of 118 (749 Views)

Mine is 1tb and I have never been able to recover them once deleted

Tuning in
Message 80 of 118 (737 Views)

No, the recently deleted folder had been cleared out too.

Technical support called back today and spoke with my wife. Apparently the guy seemed familiar with the problem like he deals with these issues all day long, so it can't be that isolated an issue. Still, there's no fix. The only new thing he suggested was if you go into options (yellow) when in My Shows, the last option allows you to create a menu for shows that will be deleted soon, so it's possible to see without having to look through all the groups what's about to delete and watch before it does.
0 Kudos