Menu
Community elder
Message 61 of 118 (602 Views)

Re: why is TIVO box deleting programs on-mass

Olly wrote:

Glad I could help, no idea why it suddenly switched on. .program glitch or maybe some remote key hit combos that did it by accident. 

At least you know how to turn it off if it happens again Smiley Wink

On the other hand, since Suggestions are turned on by default then it is possible that they have simply been on from the start.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team)
0 Kudos
Community elder
Message 62 of 118 (603 Views)

beejeh wrote:

As I hinted at earlier, very easy for VM to fix. Just turn off the automatic disk management and let the users control what gets deleted, contrary to what they may believe we are not a bunch of idiots. As an ex software developer I do not believe this would be rocket science.

At the moment I have to waste considerable time doing the opposite, fighting the system making sure it does not delete stuff.

A response from VM here would be appreciated, waste of time calling support !

From my point of view this only became a major problem in the last couple of months, though I recognise others have seen it for longer.

Thinking of sending the TIVO back and asking for a V+ instead.

If you want manual disk management then it is already there. If your percentage used is high then you can decide either to delete current recordings or ensure that new recordings don't take place. In fact I have previously received prompts, when setting up a new recording, that future recordings will not take place unless I delete some existing recordings.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team)
0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 63 of 118 (567 Views)

Hi all,

I had not heard of this problem before, but we just discovered that last night our recordings went down from 86% to 49%. Everything recorded before August last year - some stuff we were keeping to watch again is gone. Maybe more, it's hard to tell.

What a pain!

Suggestions were on & are now switched off. I have rebooted the box as suggested though it strikes me that rebooting what is essentially a mini-computer with a hard drive by pulling out the power cord isn't exactly good practice. Is it really wise to do this weekly?

I shall call 150 tomorrow, but looking at the archive of forum threads about this going back to 2012 it doesn't look as if it's very high on anyone's to do list.

Smiley Mad

bbbarry

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 64 of 118 (557 Views)

I have had a Twitter argument with them about this and their whole approach is Deny,Deny,Deny that there is any problem. They say there is no 'known issue' regarding TIVO deleting programmes itself for no reason. When I asked what a 'known issue' is they said a significant number of users would have to have the same problem for it to be a 'known issue'.

I told them that I and countless others on VM Community and probably many more who couldn't be bothered to post or didn't know about the Community had the problem so that must surely make it a 'known issue'. Apparently not and therefore they won't do anything about it. It was like banging my head against a brick wall. There must be somebody we can speak to to get something done about this. I notice the VM Community monitors are being very quiet.

Quite disgusted.

Tuning in
Message 65 of 118 (530 Views)

I called 150. The first time I got an engaged tone!

The first operator I spoke to was very helpful & sympathetic, did the tests, had me look in the deleted folder & the recording hiccups folder etc & then passed me on to someone else.

She told me "That is how the box is meant to work, if the drive is getting full it will delete older files to make room." When I pointed out that the box has been more full in the past & that this has not happened before she said that I had to set everything to KUID. She said: "If you haven't done this how can we tell if it would have worked or not," or words to that effect.

I asked about rebooting the box & she suggested pulling the plug! I said that I was concerned about doing that - it's a computer with a hard drive... she said: "It's just like a light bulb you can just switch it off." I'm sorry, but she was a bit patronising. Eventually she showed me that there is actually a "reboot the tivo" option in the settings menu. She said: "Sorry I just told you to do what I would have done."

She hinted that some upgrades have caused "glitches."

At least I have added my voice to the chorus & learned how to reboot the box. Let's hope that they start to listen to what people are saying here.

On our wavelength
Message 66 of 118 (473 Views)

Its just happened to us again. We'd been saving a couple of movies to watch this weekend and its just wiped them and three folders worth of TV series that I'd yet to watch. This is the third time (that we know of) and its getting really frustrating. If we were alone then I'd ask for a new box but our neighbours have had the same issues (not at the same time) and now having found this post I know we're not alone.

Fibre optic
Message 67 of 118 (464 Views)

zogthedoomed wrote:

Its just happened to us again. We'd been saving a couple of movies to watch this weekend and its just wiped them and three folders worth of TV series that I'd yet to watch. This is the third time (that we know of) and its getting really frustrating. If we were alone then I'd ask for a new box but our neighbours have had the same issues (not at the same time) and now having found this post I know we're not alone.

Check out the last post in the following link:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Media-TiVo-service/Tivo-deleted-lots-of-stuff-and-I-cant-...

Person claims to work in VM faults and has posted in several threads saying it is USER ERROR and that Tivo deletes recordings today to make room for the next two weeks worth of recordings. No wonder faults never get fixed.

This user has left the community.
Fibre optic
Message 68 of 118 (448 Views)

I wouldnt say User error 

I think Virginmedia hasn't given the information needed .

Who reads the manual these days.

As other members of the communtiy have stated :

" Good house keeping " 

This should stop the issue.

I just try to help as best as I know 

I work in the VM Swansea Faults Center .All comments are my own.
I do NOT speak for VM.
0 Kudos
Fibre optic
Message 69 of 118 (428 Views)

[ Edited ]

gooding5 wrote:

I wouldnt say User error 

" Good house keeping " 

Pointing someone at a manual and saying there is no fault can be interpreted that they. But that is just my opinion which we are all entitled too. Personally, I remain convinced it is a fault. (actually there appears to be several)  Tivo normally deletes recordings to make space, not even when a new recording starts but at the precise moment it requires disk sectors. I have had Tivo over 16 years and is has always been nearly 100% full (until recently as I am clearing it down before being done with it) which is how it was designed to be, even when we had 40Gb drives. Tivo has no idea how much space it needs for 2 weeks worth of recordings as each channel/program has different sizes and bitrates. Making space 2 weeks in advance is a ridiculous idea and clearly not intended and/or the cause of these faults.

This user has left the community.
Rising star
Message 70 of 118 (411 Views)

gooding5 wrote:

I wouldnt say User error 

" Good house keeping " 

Good housekeeping makes no difference.  There are various faults that instigate the faults/bugs, Virgin need to man up, admit to the problems and implement the solutions.  This has been going on far too long!!