Menu
Joining in
Message 31 of 118 (1,044 Views)

Re: why is TIVO box deleting programs on-mass

I have had the same problem as everyone else. Sudden deletion of about 40%. Apparently random deletion of a huge number of programmes, e.g. Part series, large number but not all of a load of kiddies programmes which granddaughter loves, random films etc.  very very frustrating and annoying.  This combined with sometimes slow broadband and regular non availability of Internet is making me wonder about VM.

rubydoo wrote:

I'm having the same problem too! Noticed recently that recorded programmes randomly disappearing, my box is usually quite full so made some space, then noticed next day it had dropped by another 7% - realised you can set the "Keep until I delete" on recordings so made a point of going in to all the things I wanted to keep/had started to watch and box sat comfortably at 80% last night, with nothing due to record, now today its dropped to 73% and has deleted programmes which I had specifically set at KUID!!! Really really annoyed, what is going on, this is completely unsatisfactory, they are not in my recently deleted folder and I had to reboot system this morning as my internet connection stopped working so a reboot doesn't seem to have brought them back - can someone please explain/help me - thanks.

Tuning in
Message 32 of 118 (1,016 Views)

Our box has just done similar.

We had 7 or 8 series that we were recording and waiting for them to finish so we could watch them back to back.  The first 3 or 4 episodes of each series have disappeared.  We've also lost quite a few films we had been saving.  Some of these were marked as "keep until space needed" and others were padlocked "keep until I delete". And most of the folders were marked to keep ALL episodes (some were "keep 10" but despite only being 3 things in the folder, Tivo still deleted one of them).

I noticed too that even the Deleted Items had been deleted!

The box was only around 40% full before the recordings disappeared.

I'm not sure if it's related but I recently turned off Suggestions.  This was because I was unaware of the 50 items limit and the box had decided to replace some items that I'd left in there to watch later, with some rubbish that we would never watch in a million years.

Please could VM investigate?

Thanks

Just joined
Message 33 of 118 (980 Views)

Hi there

We are also having this problem, our Tivo is deleting random programmes for no reason, some are locked and some aren't. We haven't changed any settings recently, and it's done it about four times in the last two weeks. Please help!

0 Kudos
Fibre optic
Message 34 of 118 (959 Views)

Terri_P wrote:

Due to the complexity of the issue, there is a delay in the resolution; however, we are working to get this fixed in the future.

Thank you.

3 months since the above response, so I guess it remains in the "too complex" basket. Does make you think (as per the Dolby Digital issues) that Virgin Media don't have an arrangement with Tivo to fix anything and that is the real nature of the "complexity", especially as the equivalent platform in the US is now considered obsolete. Perhaps "fixed in the future" means some theoretical future platform that could be ten years off? Unless VM would like to clarify???

The least they could do is explain the nature of the "known bugs" so people can avoid that situation from occurring. I have identified at least one bug myself in the VM firmware release to do with recording certain radio programs, in that Tivo grossly over-estimates how much space is required, I have seen in the logs "space used" shoot up to 100% when a recording starts and older recordings get deleted and when the recording ends, "space used" usually drops down considerably lower that it was originally but of course all the recordings have been wiped. There are other scenarios too that I'm sure someone competent at Virgin Media could explain if they wanted to.

This user has left the community.
On our wavelength
Message 35 of 118 (939 Views)

I'm having similar issues as well. My disk is about 70% full but the box is deleting recordings not protected by "keep until I delete" the same day I record them in some cases. This seems to have started sometime in the last couple of weeks so I'm wondering if a rogue firmware update is at work. I have certainly had my box to 85% disk usage in the past without these kind of issues occuring.

I've lost a lot of recordings and this is getting annoying; why can't the box just leave stuff people have recorded alone ! Fed up with having to keep second guessing what will happen next. Rather just be able to spend  time enjoying TV like I am supposed to be able to !

Could understand more if the disk was very full, but it isn't and I think it would better if the Tivo just warned it was unable to record due to low disk space rather than deleting stuff.

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 36 of 118 (910 Views)

I've just been told by Virgin media tech support that the TIVO box takes into account how much space it is going to need for all planned recordings when deciding whether it needs to delete stuff from the disk. Not sure I was completely convinced by this explanation, especially since I have not had problems like this in the past. 

I could understand it making space for imminent recordings, but not everything planned, which is what was implied. Afterall, this is a dynamic system in that you record new stuff and and are constantly watching old stuff recorded (and usually deleting afterwards), so it all seems a bit crazy if this is how it works.

I was also told that anything marked as "keep until I delete" will not be recoverable from the deleted programs folder once it has been deleted, which was news to me.

Still wondering if there is a recent firmware upgrade problem here which is being glossed over by tech support. Would love to know if others have had recent problems like this.

0 Kudos
Fibre optic
Message 37 of 118 (904 Views)

beejeh wrote:

I've just been told by Virgin media tech support that the TIVO box takes into account how much space it is going to need for all planned recordings when deciding whether it needs to delete stuff from the disk. Not sure I was completely convinced by this explanation, especially since I have not had problems like this in the past. 

I could understand it making space for imminent recordings, but not everything planned, which is what was implied. Afterall, this is a dynamic system in that you record new stuff and and are constantly watching old stuff recorded (and usually deleting afterwards), so it all seems a bit crazy if this is how it works.

I was also told that anything marked as "keep until I delete" will not be recoverable from the deleted programs folder once it has been deleted, which was news to me.

Still wondering if there is a recent firmware upgrade problem here which is being glossed over by tech support. Would love to know if others have had recent problems like this.

I noticed all these 'tivo has deleted a chunk of recordings and they are not recoverable' threads appeared shortly after the purple update... prior to that I had never seen anything like that..  clearly something in there has caused this but it seems random who it happens to and what space they have used up before it happens, it happens to some with pretty full HDs and some less than half full HD's, or whether they have KUID or not, or have suggestions on or off and so on... . .I am 4 mths behind on the series I watch and am dreading it happening to me too..  eekl!

0 Kudos
Up to speed
Message 38 of 118 (895 Views)

So, "keep until I delete" means absolutely nothing, then.  Surely a smart system would flag a message, "cannot record scheduled programme due to lack of space, please delete...".

On our wavelength
Message 39 of 118 (890 Views)

Shugg wrote:

Surely a smart system would flag a message, "cannot record scheduled programme due to lack of space, please delete...".

I raised that exact issue with tech support and they said that you do get a warning that stuff will be deleted because you see the hourglass symbol next to stuff which will go !!!

I pointed out the hourglass is easy to miss (especially if hidden inside a group) and I very much agree with what you say, it would be far better to do that than delete our recordings willy-nilly.

My box is deleting stuff it recorded only a few hours earlier - madness !!

Quite frankly I'm getting annoyed with it now.

Fibre optic
Message 40 of 118 (885 Views)

From what I've seen reported the hourglass doesn't even feature in the deletions. .people have had things with padlocks disappear as well.. it is completely random Smiley Sad

0 Kudos