Menu
Joining in
Message 21 of 118 (1,784 Views)

Re: why is TIVO box deleting programs on-mass

The first woman I spoke to said it wasn't the TIVO or Virgin it was me that must have deleted or not recorded or had the wrong settings (so she needs retraining/updating on this ongoing situation with the TIVO’s then). I had to be adamant that it wasn't.  The second chap (much better than the first woman) after I'd Googled said similar until he realised I knew what I was saying and had tried everything so then put me through to the third chap that was nice, helpful, knowledgeable; tried but could not succeed due to your system being faulty.  A known issue! Known for some time!! So why doesn’t this reflect in the money you keep charging for this service that I and it would seem many others don’t get? Your welcoming reply though polite is also patronising. Of course I will carry on ‘as-per’ – I need to check and monitor because I need to know as soon as this happens again so I know what I’ve lost sooner rather than later, as it’s infuriating when you sit down after a thirteen hour shift, switch on and everything you were looking forward to watching has disappeared… As what I pay for you to supply keeps disappearing it leaves me very angry and upset and disappointed and out of pocket because like I say – you come on here say “sorry to hear it” but nothing is being done or what is, is taking an extremely long time and yet Virgin Media keep carrying on ‘as-per’ and charging full whack for it..!!!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Message 22 of 118 (1,755 Views)

Hi jhutch1,

Welcome to the Community Forum and thank you for taking the time to post. I'm sorry to hear that your TiVo® has been deleting your recordings. I certainly understand how frustrating this may be for you.

I have accessed your account via your Forum details in order to look into this problem further for you. I can see that my colleague in the Faults Department advised you already that there is a know issue with the TiVo box deleting recordings when the box gets close to full capacity. Our engineers are aware of this issue and are working on a resolution to this issue. One suggested workaround is to make certain that the TiVo gets rebooted at least once a week (unplug TiVo for 5 minutes then power back on). This is forcing a new network connection. 

I have also run testing to your equipment to check for any irregularities with the signals or power levels and I can see a problem with your TiVo. I'd like to get this investigated further, if that's OK with you. 

I'll send you a private message requesting further details. Just check the red envelope at the top left of this page. 

Thank you.

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 23 of 118 (1,689 Views)

Hi Terri,

My TiVo has started to do this too. The first I noticed it I lost about a 1/3rd of my recordings. Now it seems to delete in drips & drabs - I watched half a program two nights ago, went back last night to watch the rest of it & it had gone! Very frustrating!

Any suggestions as to how to fix this?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Message 24 of 118 (1,656 Views)

Hi gcfalco,

Thank you for your post on the Forum. I'm sorry to hear that your TiVo recordings have disappeared. I know how frustrating this can be. 

I have been able to access your account via your Forum details and run testing to your equipment. The box isn't showing any issues--the signal levels look good and there are no hard drive errors, which we would usually expect to see if the box were faulty.

Just a few further questions, so I can look into this to see what's causing this to happen:

• When you go into My Shows, are you browsing "All" shows?
  • Please check the Recently Deleted folder within My Shows-are your missing shows in here?
  • Go to Home > My Shows & Recordings > Recording Hiccups > Show all-are the missing recordings listed there?
  • If the missing recordings show here (Recording Hiccups), are they listed with a hiccup advising the show had Expired?
  • Please reboot the TiVo (power off at plug for 2 minutes and power back on) and recheck for missing recordings. Have they come back?

Please let me know how you get on with these checks.

Kind regards.

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 25 of 118 (1,644 Views)

Hi Terri,

Thanks for the response.

• Yup - we're browsing "All shows"
  • The missing stuff isn't in Recently Deleted. However, there were a load of shows that we've never recorded - hard to spot any we had recorded! There's only 2 of us in the house so there's no kids etc who might have been recording odd programs. Is this usual?
  • None of the missing shows were in Hiccups - although as with Recently Deleted, many were shows we've never recorded / attempted to record.
  • Then did a reboot - missing programs not back but a bunch of "Place in the Suns" that hadn't been there when I looked through just before rebooting have appeared! Took the space used from 75% up to 79%!

Any further suggestions appreciated.

0 Kudos
Fibre optic
Message 26 of 118 (1,624 Views)

[ Edited ]

gcfalco wrote:

Hi Terri,

Thanks for the response.

• Yup - we're browsing "All shows"
  • The missing stuff isn't in Recently Deleted. However, there were a load of shows that we've never recorded - hard to spot any we had recorded! There's only 2 of us in the house so there's no kids etc who might have been recording odd programs. Is this usual?
  • None of the missing shows were in Hiccups - although as with Recently Deleted, many were shows we've never recorded / attempted to record.
  • Then did a reboot - missing programs not back but a bunch of "Place in the Suns" that hadn't been there when I looked through just before rebooting have appeared! Took the space used from 75% up to 79%!

Any further suggestions appreciated.

VM decided to impose an undocumented limit of 50 suggestions, about 2 years ago. (recordings Tivo makes without you asking it to) No one knows why VM came up with such a ridiculous limit or why they didn't see fit to inform people before any more than 50 were deleted but there you go, that's VM for you Smiley Mad I am just wondering if that may explain why you are seeing deleted shows that you have not asked it to record. Can you see how many recordings you have in the "suggestion" folder?

Regardless of that, there clearly is a problem with Tivo deleting actual user recordings. In fact Terri_P even stated a few posts up, quote "there is a know (sic) issue with the TiVo box deleting recordings when the box gets close to full capacity". Although "close to full capacity" does not really match most of the user reports and the nonsense about quote "make certain that the TiVo gets rebooted at least once a week (unplug TiVo for 5 minutes then power back on). This is forcing a new network connection. " is clearly garbage.

So if they know all about it (or claim to) what is the estimated fix date? We haven't had any fixes in over a year now, just the removal of Dolby Digital and what ever they did with the smartcards for their own purposes and causing C13x errors on flaky connections. Isn't it about time we had some fixes for some of these faults that have been known about for years?

This user has left the community.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Message 27 of 118 (1,600 Views)

Hi gcfalco,

Thank you for checking those points for me and getting back to me.

As thanks4nothing posted, it is a known issue that when the TiVo® gets close to full capacity, it can remove recordings to make space for new recordings. As you have found out yourself, by rebooting the TiVo, which forces a new network connection, new recordings that you weren't seeing previously are now showing up, albeit in the Recently Deleted folder. 

The fact remains that your missing recordings have not come back and your TiVo is around 75% of full capacity. The odd thing, as well, is that I've been able to observe over the last 24 hours is that all three of your recording tuners are constantly in use recording, however, your TiVo doesn't show constant recordings--it does show some, but nothing to warrant constant use of all three tuners.

Can you let me know what the missing recordings are and what channel(s) you are recording them from? I'd like to check the recording logs on our side and see where we can go from there. 

Regards.

0 Kudos
Fibre optic
Message 28 of 118 (1,584 Views)

[ Edited ]

Terri_P wrote:

Hi gcfalco,

Thank you for checking those points for me and getting back to me.

As thanks4nothing posted, it is a known issue that when the TiVo® gets close to full capacity, it can remove recordings to make space for new recordings. As you have found out yourself, by rebooting the TiVo, which forces a new network connection, new recordings that you weren't seeing previously are now showing up, albeit in the Recently Deleted folder. 

The fact remains that your missing recordings have not come back and your TiVo is around 75% of full capacity. The odd thing, as well, is that I've been able to observe over the last 24 hours is that all three of your recording tuners are constantly in use recording, however, your TiVo doesn't show constant recordings--it does show some, but nothing to warrant constant use of all three tuners.

Can you let me know what the missing recordings are and what channel(s) you are recording them from? I'd like to check the recording logs on our side and see where we can go from there. 

Regards.

BIB: - I would say of all the reports of this happening that I have seen, and there are a huge amount, the majority if indeed all, are nowhere near full capacity when it happens..

I first saw this report of mass deletions, and no sign of them in deleted items folder, appear after the purple upgrade which surely narrows the area of search for a fix as clearly that upgrade has affected something.

I dread the day I open My Shows and half have gone. .Mind you I set everything, apart from a random non series link programmes which I will be watching later in the day, to KUID and have suggestions turned off. Am not sure if the latter may be the problem if you [forum team] are seeing the tuners recording non stop despite no shows showing as recorded?

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 29 of 118 (1,557 Views)

Good evening ( or not ),

Our Tivo has just deleted many of our recordings, down from 90% to 45%, including several that were unwatched and wanted, Some were only recently recorded. This happened soon after rebooting twice because we had lost sound.

This mass deletion has happened at least once before. If its a fault with the hardware can we have a box that performs properly, please? If it's faulty software, why hasn't it been fixed? It's obviously a long term problem for a number of your customers. Can you suggest a reason why we should keep paying for an unreliable service?

Tuning in
Message 30 of 118 (1,519 Views)

I'm having the same problem too! Noticed recently that recorded programmes randomly disappearing, my box is usually quite full so made some space, then noticed next day it had dropped by another 7% - realised you can set the "Keep until I delete" on recordings so made a point of going in to all the things I wanted to keep/had started to watch and box sat comfortably at 80% last night, with nothing due to record, now today its dropped to 73% and has deleted programmes which I had specifically set at KUID!!! Really really annoyed, what is going on, this is completely unsatisfactory, they are not in my recently deleted folder and I had to reboot system this morning as my internet connection stopped working so a reboot doesn't seem to have brought them back - can someone please explain/help me - thanks.