Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 118 (9,957 Views)

why is TIVO box deleting programs on-mass

Overnight my TIVO box has been deleting programmes by the bucket load. My % went from 60% to 40% I have set all my recordings to keep until I delete, but it is deleting them anyway. Also my "recently deleted" folder is now empty? Help

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Superuser
Message 10 of 118 (18,107 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by Geoffgil
‎28-08-2015 00:15

Re: why is TIVO box deleting programs on-mass

blacksun wrote:

I've experienced this regularly.

I had my preferences set to delete if space were needed but keep all episodes. However my TiVo box has also never been above 70% (although I don't know if the suggested programs count to this).

When it happens a program is flagged with an hourglass and a warning it will be deleted in 3 days time. However this only shows up if you view the contents of a group or turn off group view.

Programs have been removed even though suggested recordings exist that are old than the ones being removed.

I now regularly have to go through every program Ive recorded and set it to never delete., so it shows up with a padlock next to it. This is a pain in the behind as you have to visit the settings for each recording manually.

What have you got the maximum number of episodes set to keep in a group? it will do this if for instance you have it set for 10 (default) and there is an 11th episode scheduled.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

0 Kudos

All Replies
Message 2 of 118 (9,904 Views)

Hi there Geoffgill, 

This certainly is rather strange, and I do apologise that this has happened. First of all I would have to ask, although you state you have the recordings set to keep until you delete, is this on the series links you may have set up, or is it on the default recording options. 

To check this, go to Home - Help and Settings - Settings - Recordings

If you notice recordings still deleting then please let me know. I have run some checks on your TiVo® and can not see any issues. The hard drive is reporting back as normal as are all the power levels. 

Please let me know how things go

Huw

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 3 of 118 (9,875 Views)

Hi Huw

I did have it set to default settings. But I saw on a post a month or so ago where somebody had similar problems, and they were told there is a bug in the software if you have it set to keep all recordings. So have set it now to keep when there is space and have limited recordings to 25 or 10 or 5. The point is it has never been more than 70% full so in these circumstances it should not have deleted anyway. Also I would like to point out that this about the third time is has happened (seems to be on average once a month).

0 Kudos
Community elder
Message 4 of 118 (9,870 Views)

Geoffgil wrote:

Hi Huw

I did have it set to default settings. But I saw on a post a month or so ago where somebody had similar problems, and they were told there is a bug in the software if you have it set to keep all recordings. So have set it now to keep when there is space and have limited recordings to 25 or 10 or 5. The point is it has never been more than 70% full so in these circumstances it should not have deleted anyway. Also I would like to point out that this about the third time is has happened (seems to be on average once a month).

Re this supposed "bug" in the software that is apparently caused by setting the KUID flag.

I have been using this flag since the beginning, over three years ago, for most of my recordings and I have never seen this "bug". My percentage averages in the 70% range but it occasionally reaches the high 80s.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team)
0 Kudos
Rising star
Message 5 of 118 (9,840 Views)

frank_gm wrote:

Geoffgil wrote:

Hi Huw

Re this supposed "bug" in the software that is apparently caused by setting the KUID flag.

I have been using this flag since the beginning, over three years ago, for most of my recordings and I have never seen this "bug". My percentage averages in the 70% range but it occasionally reaches the high 80s.

But Frank, just because you are lucky enough for it not to happen to you, it does happen to some of us, and it is a very real and very annoying problem.

I do get somewhat annoyed that just because it does not happen to some people it is therefore irrelevant, and we are made to feel like we are making it up in some way.

I would gladly swap your fully functioning, perfect box for mine and see how long it takes for you to become very frustrated by it too....

Fibre optic
Message 6 of 118 (9,814 Views)

The point is that it is obviously - because not everyone is affected - an intermittent fault and these are the worst kind to track down in thousands of lines of code!

But I do hope it gets fixed for you eventually.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Existing customers who wish to get a better deal should call 150 then select Option 1 then 4 then 5, "thinking about leaving us".
0 Kudos
Community elder
Message 7 of 118 (9,806 Views)

mbonnick wrote:

frank_gm wrote:

Geoffgil wrote:

Hi Huw

But Frank, just because you are lucky enough for it not to happen to you, it does happen to some of us, and it is a very real and very annoying problem.

I do get somewhat annoyed that just because it does not happen to some people it is therefore irrelevant, and we are made to feel like we are making it up in some way.

I would gladly swap your fully functioning, perfect box for mine and see how long it takes for you to become very frustrated by it too....

Where did I say it was irrelevant? The fact is that there is limited evidence of this "bug" affecting people which would suggest that it only happens in certain circumstances.

Therefore, as I was addressing Geoffgil, who was concerned about using KUID because of the "bug", I was making the point that he should not be deterred from using this facility.

Far from being "lucky", I would suggest that my experience is the norm, given the limited amount of reports of this issue.

I do not dispute that you have a problem but to it is unreasonable to try to deter others from making use of a very useful facility simply because of your experiences.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team)
0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 8 of 118 (9,792 Views)

I had my preferences set to delete if space were needed but keep all episodes. However my TiVo box has also never been above 70% (although I don't know if the suggested programs count to this).

When it happens a program is flagged with an hourglass and a warning it will be deleted in 3 days time. However this only shows up if you view the contents of a group or turn off group view.

Programs have been removed even though suggested recordings exist that are old than the ones being removed.

I now regularly have to go through every program Ive recorded and set it to never delete., so it shows up with a padlock next to it. This is a pain in the behind as you have to visit the settings for each recording manually.

0 Kudos
Rising star
Message 9 of 118 (9,759 Views)

blacksun, I feel your pain, I have to do the same!!!

Geoffgil, sorry if I confused or misled you in any way, as someone who perhaps appreciates what an annoyance this is more than those who it does not happen to, I was only trying to help.  Please allow me to clarify the different advice I have been given when discussing this very issue.  I leave it completely up to you whether you do any of these things, but the following advice has been given to me by both other forum users and moderators:

• Reboot the Tivo box weekly
  • Do not allow your Tivo box to exceed 90% full as it is Unix based and can exhibit strange behaviour at this level
  • Turn off suggestions
  • I have been told that there was an issue with KUID on American Tivo's.  The issue arose when every recorded program was set to KUID, in this case it would delete stuff randomly.  A fix was applied to these Tivo's however I have had no indication that the same fix has been applied to the Virgin ones, or even if this was related to the issues we are having.  What has been suggested is not to use KUID on everything until we know for sure this same fix has been applied.  I am not suggesting do not use it at all, just not on everything.

Again, these are all things that have been suggested to me, I am not suggesting this will stop your issues from happening, nor am I suggesting in any way you follow my advice, I leave this to your discretion.

I hope for all our sakes (well, those of us in the minority that it happens to) that they do get round to fixing the issue sometime soon!

Superuser
Message 10 of 118 (18,108 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by Geoffgil
‎28-08-2015 00:15

blacksun wrote:

What have you got the maximum number of episodes set to keep in a group? it will do this if for instance you have it set for 10 (default) and there is an 11th episode scheduled.

0 Kudos