Menu
pbleicester
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

why is Iplayer slow and not worth the frustration with TIVO

For the last few months since we went to an upgraded Virgin Media TIVO box we have found viewing IPlayer BBC programmes rubbish.  We try and its stutter, buffer stutter etc in 2015 how is this possible?

When will Virgin Media sort this out as it doesn't happen on the PC.

Come on there must be a solution.

Thanks

Peter

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: why is Iplayer slow and not worth the frustration with TIVO

pbleicester wrote:

Come on there must be a solution.....

Tivo uses a different subset of the RF channel plan and possibly even provisioned via different CMTS.

That could therefore be RF issue/slope on your connection or even  a utilisation issue on those specific downstream channels.

Possibly best moving this to Tivo forum for more attention......

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

pbleicester wrote:

Come on there must be a solution.....

If you haven't already, fill this survey in and someone should get back to you Smiley Happy
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/TiVo/BBC-iPlayer-BBC-Sports-App-Red-Button/td-p/2375611/jump-to/...

horseman wrote:

Tivo uses a different subset of the RF channel plan and possibly even provisioned via different CMTS.

That could therefore be RF issue/slope on your connection or even  a utilisation issue on those specific downstream channels.

Utilisation seems to be the most usual cause, though individual reports are still assessed if there's an issue after any remedial work has been carried out.

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
0 Kudos
jonpwatson5
Tuning in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I experience problems with BBC iPlayer on Tivo as well.

It plays absolutely fine, but if I pause it, and then try and play it again I start to get the issues with it buffering and stuttering and won't play properly again. I have to stop the program and exit back to the menu, then replay the program again. 

This is VERY frustrating. Hopefully Virgin & BBC can work out why BBC iPlayer experiences so many problems on the Tivo box.

I've filled out the survey Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Mr_K
Well-informed
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Fill in the survey if it keeps you happy. Its been ongoing for over 6 months with no sign of any action for those who have wasted their time filling it in. It won't fix your iPlayer issue; only VM upgrading their inadequate network will. (Cheaper to fob customers off with a survey).
0 Kudos
adecooper
Dialled in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Do yourself a favour and spend a few quid on a chromecast. This issue has been around for some since Tivo was first introduced and will probably never be sorted.

Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi there pbleicester, 

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with your iPlayer service through your TiVo®. I have run some checks on your connection and can see that your part of the network has been confirmed to be experiencing an Utilisation issue. We are currently working on providing more bandwidth to alleviate this issue, and we have a review date of 01/04/2015. The reference number for this is  F003505505.  

Hi jonpwatson5, 

I am sorry to hear that you too have been experiencing this issue. I have run some checks and can see a potential utilisation issue, so I am going to pass the details to our network team for further investigations. I have also sent you a private message as can see some power level issues with your TiVo® box which I would like to arrange a technician to call out and investigate further. 

Apologies again 

Huw

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
peterrand
Joining in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Mine has also been nigh on useless since "upgrading" ... Can you please sort it and let me know when this will be.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi there peterrand, 

I'm really sorry to hear that you've been experiencing an issue with your iPlayer. I've done some checks on your equipment, and whilst I can see that the network is slightly busy in your area, it's not at a point that should be causing any issues. 

I'd like to know if you are able to state whether the issues you are getting are more with HD or SD content via the iplayer. Also if you've noticed that things get worse at peak times?

Apologies again 

Huw

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
peterrand
Joining in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

No content at all really, it freezes before I can think about content.

Now also got a problem with 2nd (V+) box - once it boots (1 in 4 attempts on average) then the channels are not actually appearing although the menus are  - it says that V+ is unavailable.

Getting severely fed up.

0 Kudos