Menu
ians4470
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

why don't virgin change the nuisance hard drives to SSD type that would cure vast amount of issues

I have just joined Virgin and have been unfortunate enough to get a noisy Tivo box, thump thump, thump all day long even when sitting idle its driving us made we might have to switch back to sky its that bad,

When  looking at the forums its a common problem why don't change the HDD's to SSD type this would stop the noise for so many customers.

0 Kudos
Nutty667
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: why don't virgin change the nuisance hard drives to SSD type that would cure vast amount of issues

SSD's of the same capacity probably cost too much, and they soon wear out if you do constant writing to them.

Thought platter HD's in constant use probably only have 2 or 3 year life on average. Depends if they're made to run slow in order to last longer.

SSD's ideally in the future would be better.

sjp123
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: why don't virgin change the nuisance hard drives to SSD type that would cure vast amount of issues

at a guess... 1tb SSD's might not be quite the bargain VM would like them to be - starting in the mid £200's they're going to be something in the order of 5 times the cost of a comparable HDD.

call in and get your box replaced before you start building up a backlog.

if you do get a swap out have a read of...

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Media-TiVo-service/TiVo-replaced-things-to-double-check-b...

Nutty667
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

You can get vibration mats on amazon, I use one for my computer. It stops the vibration resonating through the desk.  You could try sitting the TIVO on one, and I find if you have a media unit with doors on you can close, you cant hear the TIVO either.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

SSD's are currently unsuitable for STB's due to the lack of trim and the constant writing (buffering)

ozsat
Trouble shooter
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

My TiVo box is no more noisey then the Sky box underneath it

==================================
V6 TiVo (with MRS)
VIVID 350 Optical Fibre (350/20mb) in Area 31
SkyQ Silver Bundle (UHD)
0 Kudos
ians4470
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I have never heard any noise from my sky box ever, the Tivo box is driving us mad and yes I have put felt underneath and it did make a little difference but not much, it seems having the Tivo box in a wooden cabinet seems to amplify the noise. I'm going to move it to see if that works, to be honest its not the only problem the broadband promised is pants I signed up for the big daddy and really got screwed over, rubbish Tivo box, broadband that at times is 152mps but most of the time doesn't get more that 10mps after speaking to engineers it seem that the best they can do, just too much traffic in our area surely if they are over subscribe they shouldn't be offering 152mps when they can't fulfil that promise whoops im sorry upto 152mps what a complete rip off.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: why don't virgin change the nuisance hard drives to SSD type that would cure vast amount of i...

Hi ians4470,

Thanks for coming by Smiley Happy

I'm sorry to hear that your TiVo® is being noisy, it's not good to hear that you're Broadband speeds are also not up to scratch right now.

I'd like to help check this out for you.

It's great that you've already tried something to cushion the box in your unit.  Hopefully it's not the case that it's overheating in there, but let me know how you get on with that.

I have checked your box remotely and signal wise all looks great.  If the noise is relating to the hard drive then it may need a closer look, possibly an engineer visit.

In regards to your Broadband service, drop our team a message on our Broadband Boards and we can check it all out for you and if necessary seek any updates on any network issues for you.

Let me know how you get on regarding your TiVo® box, I'm here to help if you need me.  

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
ians4470
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: why don't virgin change the nuisance hard drives to SSD type that would cure vast amount of i...

First of all thanks for reply, its nice to know that you answer even when you get irate customers, sorry about the rant,

The TiVo box is now sorted I have placed it on a glass TV stand and the noise is now not audible, (I have removed the felt as it was only under little bits under the rubber feet)

I'm still not happy about my broadband though i'm still only getting 10mps at times when I signed up for 152mps, wouldn't mind getting half that to be honest. I left BT who were giving me 51mps and to be fair with them it never failed and was always constant, Virgins promise of 152mps and its never stable I have major issues including trying to use Skype which is one of the questions I asked at the time of coming over to Virgin i'll give it a few more days and if it remains the same I'll drop a line to Ofcom to see if I can get out of a verbal contract has I haven't actually signed anything yet.

0 Kudos
sjp123
Problem sorter
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

there's something amiss with your BB - don't let them go too long without an update, have your complaint logged every time you call (to try and get a credit for the lack of speed over the month since it's been since your last call perhaps).

if you need work done on your network segment they'll get monitors on the line and determine if remedial work is required. once that's in play you'll be able to quote that reference number when you chase them up - again monthly to get that credit for the poor service level you're getting.