Menu
dvscott
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

why does the BBC player take so long to load on my Tivo compared with the old box?

We recently swapped our old set top box for a Tivo.  Whilst some of the new features are great, th ecatch-up facility is terrible!  It now takes approximately a minute to load th ei-player just to see the menu, whereas with our old box it was almost instantaneous.  Is this normal, and if so, why can't it be improved?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
marrtin
Superfast
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: why does the BBC player take so long to load on my Tivo compared with the old box?

This is in part occurred after a firmware update that was rolled out late last year.  The VM team briefly acknowledged the update was causing at least some Tivos to slow down and the issue was being "looked into",  but AFAIK, nothing has ever happened.

Our answer was to buy a new smart tv and access all the services on that rather than bother with the Tivo.  

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: why does the BBC player take so long to load on my Tivo compared with the old box?

Our answer was to buy a new smart tv and access all the services on that rather than bother with the Tivo.  

like he said- I don't use bbc player much but take netflix: it can take up to 2 minutes on tivo to get to movie selected & streaming. - on my £19 special offer amazon fire tv stick it takes only seconds. and picture quality is just as good. And the stick can also do amazon prime video, plex, and a bunch of other stuff that the Tivo can't.

any smart tv or any plug in roku/amazon/chromecast streaming sevice will out perform tivo, assuming you have decent internet speed.

the one advantage that tivo has is its dedicated cable, but having that 20Mb pipe all to itself does not seem to help at all with the very slow loading speeds! And don't get me started on why it takes around 5 minutes to reboot after a power cut!

the tivo is just very badly designed or programmed for apps.. Netflix is so slow i wonder if is re-fetching the entire catalogue, with images, every time , before letting you browse i?

0 Kudos

All Replies
marrtin
Superfast
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

This is in part occurred after a firmware update that was rolled out late last year.  The VM team briefly acknowledged the update was causing at least some Tivos to slow down and the issue was being "looked into",  but AFAIK, nothing has ever happened.

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

like he said- I don't use bbc player much but take netflix: it can take up to 2 minutes on tivo to get to movie selected & streaming. - on my £19 special offer amazon fire tv stick it takes only seconds. and picture quality is just as good. And the stick can also do amazon prime video, plex, and a bunch of other stuff that the Tivo can't.

any smart tv or any plug in roku/amazon/chromecast streaming sevice will out perform tivo, assuming you have decent internet speed.

the one advantage that tivo has is its dedicated cable, but having that 20Mb pipe all to itself does not seem to help at all with the very slow loading speeds! And don't get me started on why it takes around 5 minutes to reboot after a power cut!

the tivo is just very badly designed or programmed for apps.. Netflix is so slow i wonder if is re-fetching the entire catalogue, with images, every time , before letting you browse i?

0 Kudos