Menu
sacky
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

why does my tivo box record programs that i have not set up

My tivo box keeps recording shows that i have not set up, does anyone know how i can stop this happening.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
sjp123
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: why does my tivo box record programs that i have not set up

turn Suggestions off - Help & Settings > Settings > Recordings > Suggestions 

Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi there Sacky, 

Welcome to the forums, the answer that sjp123 has given certainly sounds like the cause of this. The TiVo® is a clever piece of equipment, it will learn your viewing habits and record things it thinks you will like, this is based on things that you've recorded in the past and things that you've given a thumbs up.

If you do not want this, then you can indeed disable this option by following sjp123's suggestion. 

Let us know how you get on. 

Huw

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos

All Replies
sjp123
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

turn Suggestions off - Help & Settings > Settings > Recordings > Suggestions 

Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi there Sacky, 

Welcome to the forums, the answer that sjp123 has given certainly sounds like the cause of this. The TiVo® is a clever piece of equipment, it will learn your viewing habits and record things it thinks you will like, this is based on things that you've recorded in the past and things that you've given a thumbs up.

If you do not want this, then you can indeed disable this option by following sjp123's suggestion. 

Let us know how you get on. 

Huw

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
mad4amanda
Joining in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

If that is correct why did our box record the news, one born every minute and some other rubbish we have never even watched let alone recorded any of these !

I suggest the suggestions are based on what everyone records and are not learnt to your habits and as such are useless

Ours even wanted to change channel .as we were not watching the suggestions! 

If only it learnt that might be useful along with not randomly deleting recordings 

0 Kudos
sjp123
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

mad4amanda wrote:

If that is correct why did our box record the news, one born every minute and some other rubbish we have never even watched let alone recorded any of these !

I suggest the suggestions are based on what everyone records and are not learnt to your habits and as such are useless

Ours even wanted to change channel .as we were not watching the suggestions! 

If only it learnt that might be useful along with not randomly deleting recordings 

could have picked it up from any recording made in the news genre - a single green thumbs up tick will have been allocated.

the same goes for one born every minute - documentary genre possibly

the algorithm that works out what suggestions to record for you is based on your viewing habits, it can be a little cryptic but you can usually figure out why a given suggestion was recorded if you examine the full info in the epg data.

0 Kudos
swilliams67
Joining in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Huw,

If it is, as you assert, a clever piece of equipment that learns from things I have previously recorded or given thumbs up to, then why does it continually record stuff I have never watched, recorded or given a thumbs up to. In fact, it records stuff I have never, and would never, watch and then asks me to change channels so it can record some rubbish I have never heard of.

Please save me from your [MOD EDIT: Removed inappropriate comments] and actually answer the question without referring to the Virgin Media Answer Book.

0 Kudos
Topic63
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

This was really annoying, what a stupid idea!!
I was getting recordings of things I had absolute no interest in, who set these algorithms?
0 Kudos
rgale40
Tuning in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I had this issue as well......

Virgin call it 'clever' - I call it 'irritating & useless'..!!

I've just had to go through my recordings and delete a whole host of rubbish that I'm not remotely interested in & would never have watched in the first place.!

I appreciate that this feature can be turned off, which I've now done, but I can't understand why anyone would have thought it was a good idea in the first place..!!
0 Kudos
Tavis75
Well-informed
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

rgale40 wrote:
I had this issue as well......

Virgin call it 'clever' - I call it 'irritating & useless'..!!

I've just had to go through my recordings and delete a whole host of rubbish that I'm not remotely interested in & would never have watched in the first place.!

I appreciate that this feature can be turned off, which I've now done, but I can't understand why anyone would have thought it was a good idea in the first place..!!

I quite like, it occasionally records things I might be interested in and the suggestions folder can just be ignored if you're not interested in them. They never take priority over your own recordings, they don't count towards the used space on the box and they are automatically deleted when the space is needed. So, no real downsides but an occasional benefit.

0 Kudos
syzygyv
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Useless stuff like this, should be set to off by default.