Menu
RNC
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

virgin catch up unwatchable BBC iplayer buffering all the time

virgin catch up unwatchable BBC iplayer buffering all the time. Only plays a couple of minutes then have to rewind and play another couple of mins. If I use my smart tv on broadband it is fine the problem is Tivo

0 Kudos
Parrotperson
Super solver
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: virgin catch up unwatchable BBC iplayer buffering all the time

The problem is partly TiVo, partly over utilisation of your local network and partly a very poor TiVo app produced by the BBC, to whom I've written and complained. Their answer was 'we think it works ok'

Lets hope the new virgin box has a better app at least. 

0 Kudos
RNC
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

By over use of my local network do you mean from my own hub ie my network or the general area I live. My own network in not over used.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi RNC,

A warm welcome to our community Smiley Happy

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble watching programmes via the BBC iPlayer App on TiVo®.  I'd like to help check this out for you.

I have been able to access your box remotely and signal/power level wise all looks great.  I have also had a look at the network side of things and there's no high demand occurring so all is well there too.

It would be great to get a little more information on the fault you're experiencing, if you can please get back to me with the following details:

* Does the buffering/picture issues occur on other apps like Netflix or YouTube?  (If you don't normally use these apps can you test them out please and let me know how you get on?)

* Do you find it happens every time you use the BBC iPlayer, or does it happen certain times of the day?

* If you reboot the TiVo® will this make any improvement at all?  (Even if it's only temporary)

If you can let me know how you get on, I can check further.  Keep me posted.

Collette Smiley Happy

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
RNC
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hope it is not too late to resurrect this

BBCi is still a often a problem for me, doesn't seem to be associated with time of day. I have a "smart" wifi Samsung dvd player/recorder and find that the app on that for BBCi is much more reliable and (may be imagination) seems better sound and picture- as if it is less compressed than on virgin.

Other catch up is not problem free but I use them far less than BBCi. ITV hub seems far less content & user friendly on Virgin than on Samsung

I dumped Netflix some time ago, more from limited interest than service quality at the time. Don't use You Tube app but when tested seemed ok.

Rebooting TiVo seems to make no difference.

Making more use of the Samsung, I'm wondering what I'm paying Virgin TV for! Even if it all worked perfectly I get little of any value compared with what is free via samsung & TV.

0 Kudos
regentroad5
Dialled in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I have this problem too. The BBC iplayer service was pretty good when I had a V+ box. However, with my TIVO box there is constant buffering, especially at the start.
Don't know what is worse, this or Virgin's VEVO music service.