Menu
cybmole
Community elder
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

universal remotes

is there a list anywhere of which all-in -one / universal/ teachable remotes actually work well with tivo ( and for completeness with v6), and which are best avoided 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: universal remotes

Any Harmony remote works well, don't know about a list tough

0 Kudos
japitts
Well-informed
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I use a OneForAll with my home-cinema separates setup. It worked with virtually all my kit (including Virgin Tivo) out of the packet, though I had to send it off to 1FA to get the Marantz CD codes added.

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

thanks - but one for all have over 20 different remotes on their web page, can you recommend a specific model please

http://www.oneforall.co.uk/universal-remotes.html

i only need 4 devices max: Samsung J seies TV, Tivo, Samsung blu ray ( rarely used) , Roku ( if possible)

I am fed up of ripping the settee to bits to find the TV / Tivo remotes wedged down the side, ( or helpfully? left in the kitchen ! ) so having a spare universal remote will be good.

alternatively, is is possible to buy a 2nd Tivo remote, or will Virgin give me one if I ask very nicely ?

0 Kudos
japitts
Well-informed
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I think the specific model I have, is probably long since discontinued and I had to dig out the old order confirmations to make sure...

I've got the OFA Smart Control 6 - URC7960.

I got the impression that most of the "big name" items worked out of the box, albeit perhaps with a lot of teaching when it came to the obscure buttons. Like Tivo "menu", "my shows", "back" etc and I'd worked out which buttons were most natural to map to. The list of manually-programmable codes for other manufacturers was quite extensive to be fair, and I was probably unlucky with my Marantz code being available but only after a retrofit.

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks again. I  have ordered the cheap & simple big button zapper plus , hopefully it will work both TV and Tv, it claims to do 2 devices.

It's not obvious how / whether we'll be able to playback recorded shows after my son's dog has hidden the proper Tivo remote again.... we'll see.

It's from amazon so I can return it if it's useless.

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

updates & mixed results

I got the zapper plus ( 2 devices, allegedly). taught it Samsung TV, very easy, then taught it Tivo, also easy, then found it had forgotten Samsung.

on closer reading, it can only have one keypress per button, not one per button per device. you can mix & match those buttons across different devices but really is' just a simple TV remote. So i factory reset it, then reprogrammed Samsung TV, and added an on - off for Tivo on the other power button. It will serve as a simple spar TV remote

then. moving on. For upstairs, I ordered the simpler all for one zapper, with no numeric keys  where I just need to switch my Samsung TV ( used only as a monitor ) to different sources and to operate a linked Teac amp. That was a nightmare. 

The simple zapper lacks the presets of the zapper plus, so instead of pressing 6 for samsung I am supposed to memorise a mapping of 1 2 3 4 5 6 onto CH+ vol - etc and then quickly enter 5 digit codes until I find one that works. I suspect there's also an unspecified data entry time limit for doing that,  as I could not get ANY of the 12 or so Samsung codes to work, I finally had to go one key at a time learning from the original. I was able to put the Teac volume up down onto the channel up down , and the teac optical / coax onto the guide and back button keys though, with the volume and av source keys assigned to the TV monitor , so a reasonable , but frustrating outcome.

I have one more scenario and a different showstopper. I have a NAD 3020 D. digital  amp. Great amp, horrible remote withvery hard to read  black on black labels.  NAD have laid out the remote with a key for ON, & a different key for standby. Every learnable remote I look at uses a single toggle power key for both on & off AND wants a 1- 1 mapping from original to learnable remote SO I suspect that cannot easily be replaced.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

cybmole wrote:

updates & mixed results

I got the zapper plus ( 2 devices, allegedly). taught it Samsung TV, very easy, then taught it Tivo, also easy, then found it had forgotten Samsung.

on closer reading, it can only have one keypress per button, not one per button per device. you can mix & match those buttons across different devices but really is' just a simple TV remote. So i factory reset it, then reprogrammed Samsung TV, and added an on - off for Tivo on the other power button. It will serve as a simple spar TV remote

then. moving on. For upstairs, I ordered the simpler all for one zapper, with no numeric keys  where I just need to switch my Samsung TV ( used only as a monitor ) to different sources and to operate a linked Teac amp. That was a nightmare. 

The simple zapper lacks the presets of the zapper plus, so instead of pressing 6 for samsung I am supposed to memorise a mapping of 1 2 3 4 5 6 onto CH+ vol - etc and then quickly enter 5 digit codes until I find one that works. I suspect there's also an unspecified data entry time limit for doing that,  as I could not get ANY of the 12 or so Samsung codes to work, I finally had to go one key at a time learning from the original. I was able to put the Teac volume up down onto the channel up down , and the teac optical / coax onto the guide and back button keys though, with the volume and av source keys assigned to the TV monitor , so a reasonable , but frustrating outcome.

I have one more scenario and a different showstopper. I have a NAD 3020 D. digital  amp. Great amp, horrible remote withvery hard to read  black on black labels.  NAD have laid out the remote with a key for ON, & a different key for standby. Every learnable remote I look at uses a single toggle power key for both on & off AND wants a 1- 1 mapping from original to learnable remote SO I suspect that cannot easily be replaced.

The logitech universal remotes  will will drive the NAD 3020 D but you pay a premium price for them

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

the logitech's are way out of my price range. I may get this £2.58 one from amazon & see what it can do as a NAD substitute 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B014413ZLQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A368I6KXHKTB...

BOLING DC 3V Mini Learning Remote Control RM-L7 Universal

7 keys. I could put standby onto the SET key.

I have stuck white labels all over my black on black nad remote. But it looks a mess so I may try again, more neatly

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

japitts wrote:

I think the specific model I have, is probably long since discontinued and I had to dig out the old order confirmations to make sure...

I've got the OFA Smart Control 6 - URC7960.

I got the impression that most of the "big name" items worked out of the box, albeit perhaps with a lot of teaching when it came to the obscure buttons. Like Tivo "menu", "my shows", "back" etc and I'd worked out which buttons were most natural to map to. The list of manually-programmable codes for other manufacturers was quite extensive to be fair, and I was probably unlucky with my Marantz code being available but only after a retrofit.

I have one of these. Used it on a couple of Tivos and have carried on using it, without any changes, on my V6. A nice, inexpensive, piece of kit.

Some available on Ebay.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos