Menu
cybmole
Community elder
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

tivo via hdmi switch and 10 metre cable - will it work

in theory I can get a "next room" option by using a HDMI switch ( I have an unused one), or a splitter, with a 10 metre cable. 

has anyone successfully done this i.e. is a Tivo Ok with that cable length, and via an in-line powered switch ? Amazon sell blue rigger 10m HDMi which should be good quality. I use their " lifetime guarantee" shorter cables already. A crude "peice of string" test suggests 10m is long enough. But it would be a frustrarting hassle if the Tivo's output cannot cope

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Tavis75
Well-informed
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: tivo via hdmi switch and 10 metre cable - will it work

I've been using a TiVo with a 10m HDMI cable for years with no problems, also including HDMI switching through both an amplifier and a separate switch at various times.

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

people have successfully put the tivo away in a cupboard ect before with ir over hdmi senders, it may well work but the only way to find out would be to test it with your Tivo and Your TV, the Tivo is rather fussy about getting a handshake from the TV and if it doesn't get it or the handshake is tardy it won't display a tv picture (though the menus work)

So I would set it up on the floor before running the cables and make sure you get the kit from someone who takes returns

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

i am aware of the HDCP handshake issue - that is why I am asking if anyone has successfully used a 10 metre cable run- a tivo in a cupboard is unlikely to be 10 metres for the TV !

I am reluctant to abuse amazon reruns if a perfectly good cable is unable to do the job simply because of Tivo's limitations, and i have no other use for a 10 metre cable!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Even if someone else has done it that would not prove it would work with your TV, I'm pretty sure people have done it

0 Kudos
wd40addict
Dialled in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi There,

I sometimes use my Tivo via a splitter through a 12m HDMI lead to my video projector, the other splitter output just feeds the main TV through a 1m lead. It all works fine, but note this is at 720p.

Regards

Paul
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

true but if several folks all say tried that- failed. then I'll not bother.

it's a J series Samsung TV, I am less worried about its HDMI in than about the Tivo's HDmi out

as I understand it the HDCP handshake relies on precise timing. if it works for 720 it should work for 1080 and vice versa

the only reason for doing this would be to get HD into the other room, I can get SD via e.g. the TV anywhere app on a linked PC

and I need a splitter, not a switch . the switch I have is for connecting 3 outputs to 1 input. I'd need 1 (tivo) output to 2 (TV)  inputs so unless the switch can work in reverse...

0 Kudos
Tavis75
Well-informed
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I've been using a TiVo with a 10m HDMI cable for years with no problems, also including HDMI switching through both an amplifier and a separate switch at various times.

0 Kudos