Menu
bagedntage
Tuning in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

tivo box is slow

Hi folks.lately my tivo box has become slow as **bleep**.
Selecting shows pop up is slow. Youtube is a no go.
Netflix stops and kicks me out.
Internet is fine. (broadband) No.problems with speeds. Can watch videos and streem with no issues.
Normal tv is fine too. Issue is watching normal streaming vids misic etc.
Have i got a defunct box?
Is there another issue?
Thanks.

Helpful Answers
bagedntage
Tuning in
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: tivo box is slow

Should say reboots do nothing for the performance of the box.
All connection settings come back as normal too.
Of it were a PC i would be reformatting and starting again with an extra gig of ram.
0 Kudos
Chris99T
Just joined
Message 12 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I'm in the same boat. Blooming box is slow to respond to any requests such as using the Home or My Shows buttons. Screen goes blank for more than 30 seconds in some cases. Replacement needed VM!! Strange when you don't actually store the recorded programs on it. I say that as when the broad band drops out you can't watch any saved programs! P@#s poor service! Sadly as stated by others here some of the other providers have their own issues!

0 Kudos

All Replies
sharrattm
Superfast
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

if you check the other messages on the board there are plenty of others having the exact same problem (myself included).

There's unlikely to be anything 'wrong' with your Tivo, it's a widespread issue affecting very many people,  and Virgin seemingly aren't/wont'/can't do anything to resolve it, or to even to acknowledge it being a problem (despite all the reports).

They will Check your cable.. which will be fine.  Advise you to reboot regularly (that may have a very short term effect but it wont last).  Tell you to change the batteries in the remote (with zero effect). then that's it you just have to slowly live with it.....

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi bagedntage

A warm welcome to our community Smiley Happy

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with the speed of TiVo® right now.  I'll be happy to look into this for you.

I have carried out some checks with the box remotely, all signal and power levels are looking good from here.  I have also looked at the network side of things and all looks good there too.

I'd like to know more about the symptoms you experience if oyu don't mind getting back to me with the requested information:

*  Will this happen at random times or specific times of the day?

*  Will a reboot improve things?  (Even if it is only temporary)

*  If you carry out a service connection will this help things along?  (HOME > HELP & SETTINGS > SETTINGS > NETWORKS > CONNECT TO MY VIRGIN MEDIA SERVICE NOW - this process will take up to a few minutes to go through)

If you can let me know how you get on, I can help further.

Collette Smiley Happy

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
bagedntage
Tuning in
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

The slow down is completely random.
The menu system is notably slower than it used to be.
It happens almost everytime we use netflix or any on demand/catchup service.
The service freezes then starts up or botts out to main menu.
Its frustrating.
Thanks for the comments back folks.
0 Kudos
bagedntage
Tuning in
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Should say reboots do nothing for the performance of the box.
All connection settings come back as normal too.
Of it were a PC i would be reformatting and starting again with an extra gig of ram.
0 Kudos
sugarshaker
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I thought I was the only one with a extremely slow tivo. Its next to uselss in my opinion.
vwt5
Up to speed
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

have the same with my box aswell,pretty disappointing considering ive only been with virgin for less than 4 months,navigating the system is sometimes non existent,maybe leaving sky was a bad mistake

cruising
Superfast
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

We are all in the same boat........and VM does not give two hoots....and still increases subscriptions.

There does not appear to be any answer other than to go elsewhere if you get to the end of your patience.

Unfortunately other providers are not totally without their problems either.

There was hope many months ago that the Forum would enable customers to bring to VMs attention all of these frustrations and problems. The hope was that  there was an opportunity for them to show some interest and understanding in order to move forward a bit.

It has been a severe disappointment that this has not been the case...we get nothing of any use from VM...just endless nonsense about rebooting the box and being told that the signals are OK and finally that we havent got a problem.....even though we experience it every time we turn on Tivo. It is an insult to Forum users.

The Forum has one great advantage....the fact that we know we are not alone in suffering the same frustrations.

As for any help or understanding from VM or its management.........forget it!

cje85
Knows their stuff
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

The TiVo box used by VM is very old now, unfortunately the slow performance is completely normal just like on an old PC. 

eljayps
Dialled in
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I am also in the same boat. For instance just loading the menu for Sky on demand takes upward of a couple of minutes. Also noticed every other menu is much slower than it used to be. I would agree its an "old computer issue". Like like naff firmware/software issue with old processors and hardware that cannot cope.

Virgin are doing themselves no favours. Especially with SkyQ now on the market showing forward thinking as opposed to patching up (and overloading) out of date equipment.