Menu
cybmole
Community elder
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

tivo IS stuck on "starting up..."

found the Tivo like that this morning.

have tried power cycling it. it just gets to "starting up" then goes no further.

do I have to wait it out of call it in

my internet is OK

is it some overnight update gone wrong ?

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: tivo IS stuck on "starting up..."

update - well I called it in, she had me disconnect+ reconnect everything ( co-ax and mains )  - no cure. She says the earliest I can have an engineer is next Monday!

so, assuming it does not make a spontaneous miraculous recovery, what do I have to do to get compensation for almost a week of no TV service?

more info: it does not get a far as showing a clock symbol, which apparently is needed for online tests

it is clearly in a loop - my tv screen shows "starting up..."  then after a couple of minutes that goes to no signal, all the tivo lights flash & it reverts to "starting up..."

what is the likelihood of needing a replacement box,which will mean the loss of saved recordings 

or is it an area TV fault - she was hazy on that question - something about the engineers not starting work until 9am so nothing called in as yet.

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: tivo IS stuck on "starting up..."

more: re-testing some 5 hours later. same symptoms

also I cannot hear the drive spinning up but a can hear a regular beep when close up coming from the device, not from the power brick - going off about once every 2 seconds. suggests a box failure to me. the on off mutton on the front has no effect, the light below that on/standby button stays green, so we are trying to powercycle it via the wall switch.

a forum search for tivo beep bring up this similar report

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Media-TiVo-service/TIVO-beeps-on-start-up-stuck-on-starti...

it is most frustrating to have to wait 5 whole days before an engineer can look at it

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: tivo continues to do the Dead Parrot Beep

it is as dead as this thread. drive does not spin up. beep indicates broken. Why can't Virgin just ship a replacement, like they do with hubs, instead of making me wait 5 days for an engineer to swap it out ?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

They do if their diagnostics say it is just the kit that's gone wrong.

But if their diagnostics find anything else that could also be fixed with the service in question (or that could contribute to the kit issue) then they'll send an engineer.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

it is clear that their diagnostics and their techs cannot contact the box remotely

the recorded test told me, in 4 different rephrases,  that " the tests are taking longer than expected" then the real person said she could not run any other tests until the box got as far as the start up clock disply - which it never does.

I reckon that if the drive has died without warning & cannot spin, then the OS cannot load, the box cannot communicate back to base...

..the aural evidences is clear, the drive is NOT spinning up, instead there's a regular 2 second bleep coming from inside the box. Power cycling/ removing + replacing cables does nothing. so suerely tha't enough of a case to express ship a eplacement box and not inpose a 5 day delay.

can you please use your superuser powers to get staff on the case, before monday 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Even if a box was sent out via self replacement, it would still be Monday as it's three working days for the delivery. It would also be an all day delivery slot, whereas the engineer is in a timed slot.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

i agree- just needed to moan. if they had 24 hour shipping, it would be faster and still probably be cheaper for them than sending a man in a van ?

& it seems illogical that they ship hubs for DIY but not TIVo - I'd argue the Tivo is the simpler of the 2 to swap out 

I get that hard drives can die with no working but it's more usually the case that there's be warning signs - glitches, pixellation.lost/corrupted recordings..

and better BIOS / firmware that could say - "hard drive is not responding"  rather than "starting up..."

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

so after 5 days of no TV

1. the engineer is allegedly coming today - how can I check that? specifically, how can I bypass the "we'll just run a test on all your equipment - if that does not work call us again in 10 minutes " barrier

2. Where do I have to go scream and shout to get compensation for the outage. I appreciate it's not a huge amount of money put here's a principle at stake. and the more hoops I have to jump through to make it happen , the angrier I am going to get.. I am already almost at the tipping point of blasting Virgin on facebook, twitter, re the outage, and because 5 days on no forum staff have had the courtesy to respond to this thread.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi cybmole, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear that you are having an issue with getting a refund for a loss of service. 

You will need to speak to the team on 150 / 0345 454 1111 for this. They can calculate the loss of service amount and add it to your account ready for deduction off your next bill. 

Come back and let us know how things are with your services now Smiley Happy

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos